News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

The city has offered to fund up to half.
So the plan is to spend $109M on a new building ($491k per unit) when the estimated repairs for the existing building were $15M?

How many centuries of "reduced utility costs" will it take to recoup that extra $94M in capital costs?

They could build another 300+ units somewhere else in the city if they just repaired the existing building!!!

So the plan is to spend $109M on a new building ($491k per unit) when the estimated repairs for the existing building were $15M?

How many centuries of "reduced utility costs" will it take to recoup that extra $94M in capital costs?

They could build another 300+ units somewhere else in the city if they just repaired the existing building!!!
My understanding is that figure also includes a number of local pedestrian and road improvements, would love confirmation from someone closer to this

Yeah - I feel there's something missing here in the story, to your point - it wouldn't make sense to cost this much per door if you can really refurbish the existing structure for cheaper.

Triggers a question for the construction and building folks - when would it make sense to tear down a tower like this? Short of a land value play or redevelopment for profit, we don't see a ton of older towers this size coming down very often, here or in other Canadian cities. From a lay-person perspective wouldn't it always be cheaper to just reno the structure and replace, even if it's a total gut of all the systems? Saves you 20 stories of concrete to replace (unless structurally there is an issue that can't be fixed?)

I get the office conversion issue - where the floor plates and building systems don't always allow economic office-to-res conversion, but this is just res-to-new res. What are we missing in the equation here?

I'm wondering the same thing. Maybe they've have factored in long term savings with a new building? The way I understand it, is the new building would be a lot more efficient, even if the existing building was renovated, but could wrong.

I'm wondering the same thing. Maybe they've have factored in long term savings with a new building? The way I understand it, is the new building would be a lot more efficient, even if the existing building was renovated, but could wrong.

My cynical hypothesis is that it is easier to find $109M in government funding for a shiny new energy efficient building than $15M to do deferred maintenance to keep something habitable if basic.

My cynical hypothesis is that it is easier to find $109M in government funding for a shiny new energy efficient building than $15M to do deferred maintenance to keep something habitable if basic.
The hypocrisy of some of these climate initiatives. 🤣

Also, architects and engineers are extremely risk averse and will often recommend starting from a clean slate to avoid the challenges of dealing with existing buildings, and public sector clients often accept these recommendations without challenging them. There's nothing that would prevent the addition of insulation to the existing envelope, adding high efficiency boilers/chillers etc. to improve building performance.

Modernist towers are starting to come down across Canada.. This would be one of the largest. The $15 million is probably the minimum needed to make it habitable. It has a large surface parking lot to develop with a private investor. The tower's position will blocks views of the downtown from new development. I wonder if that has anything to do with the decision to destroy it.

I struggle to believe that this building would be demolished. Perhaps the term 'redevelopment' is being used to refer to the site as whole, meaning a retrofit to the existing structure along with the addition of new buildings. $109M would be enough to build multiple buildings.

"The City of Calgary is in the preliminary stages of investigating potential plans for the rest of the site," read the statement.

The city undertakes massive changes to housing reforms in the name of the housing crisis, yet their internal departments are only in the preliminary stages of investigating a site they probably knew would be closed over 5 years ago. Plans should've been done when the last tenant moved out.

So it appears they are renovating rather than tearing down the building, which is a bit of a surprise. I had heard that the building had a massive infestation problem and was considered beyond its useful life. Hopefully this means they can get the building reopened a lot quicker than if they tore it down and built new.

But I agree that CHC needs to move a lot quicker to address this housing crisis. They have a site north of St. Joseph's church in Mt Pleasant for 16 units that has been in the work for years and still hasn't broken ground. In a city growing by roughly 6% a year we need to be able to build a lot more units a lot more quickly.

Honestly, I'd rather see this thing torn down and the land reutilized more efficiently.

Seeing that the parcel is large, isn't there any way the City could divide up the parcel even more, sell off most of the divided land, and use the funds to subsidize a new taller tower on maybe a small corner space of the land? Just a thought.

Screenshot 2024-07-16 at 10.08.44 PM.png

Honestly, I'd rather see this thing torn down and the land reutilized more efficiently.

Seeing that the parcel is large, isn't there any way the City could divide up the parcel even more, sell off most of the divided land, and use the funds to subsidize a new taller tower on maybe a small corner space of the land? Just a thought.

View attachment 581044
I’m not entirely sure why you can’t just keep an existing concrete tower, refurbish it, and they fill in the rest of the land with another 1,000+ units.

it strikes me as woefully unambitious for such a good location to do anything less.

I’m not entirely sure why you can’t just keep an existing concrete tower, refurbish it, and they fill in the rest of the land with another 1,000+ units.

it strikes me as woefully unambitious for such a good location to do anything less.
Because the buildings are placed awkwardly on the land. I feel like they should break it up in a grid layout to maximize the land's potential. Perhaps allow for retail units. Basically, a proper redevelopment of the land for the 21st century.

Back