News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Here's how i saved money: I lived in homeless shelters while making $800/week as a construction labourer. My total daily expenses: $1 (for breakfast) 6 months later, I was living with the parents--and saving at a slightly less advantageous rate;) Nonetheless, living on my own (rent approx $800/month) and carless, I still managed 70% saving rate. Then i take some of my savings and start to gamble online--sometimes win big sometimes a wash but the net result: financial freedom without a mortgage! (I'm a renter and love it that way! Buying a condo is just to responsible a thing to do and ultimately, kinda boring from my pov.)

But, good luck to you--although seriously, wait until you've saved at least $25000 before buying.

Here's how i saved money: I lived in homeless shelters while making $800/week as a construction labourer. My total daily expenses: $1 (for breakfast) 6 months later, I was living with the parents--and saving at a slightly less advantageous rate

That is a pretty amazing story, urbandreamer. I'm always amazed by people who can so tightly control their finances.

I didn't know making $41,000 a year got one access to a homeless shelter.

Yes you're quite the ass. Things don't always work out, the poker still does me well. I was really looking to see what I could get away with if I were just scraping along (worst case scenerio). I actually do have a nice chunk of change coming my way from the sale of the house but have no idea when that will arrive and would rather own sooner than later. I certainly wasn't bragging in my prior post, there was really nothing to brag about I'm sorry you took it that way. But yes, I'll repeat, you're quite the ass for making the post you did. Thanks, I feel better about myself now lol.

noodlesalad, thanks for your informative post. I think I could live comfortably under that scenerio.. you give me hope lol.

Meh, nobody told you to make those initial "Look at me! I have this, I have that!" posts complete with photos over a year ago. If you weren't trying to brag I don't know what you were trying to do back then.

Either way, tough break man, good luck.

Meh, nobody told you to make those initial "Look at me! I have this, I have that!" posts complete with photos over a year ago.

A mere curiosity, but why would this bother you so much?

A mere curiosity, but why would this bother you so much?

He's probably the only one that took those as bragging threads, I was merely settling into my suburban lifestyle and thought I would share, there was nothing worth bragging about. Surely the entire board that knew me well before then had expected that was going to be my fate, I found it kind of funny that I ended up that way and thought I would share.

Anyway, he's a total dickhead for even bringing it up in a thread that has nothing to do with that, I guess some people can't let things go no matter what... I'm glad I'm not one of those people!

Yeah for G6 money you can buy a VW Rabbit--a much better car.

lol and I also could have got a mini cooper... again a much better car. Too bad both that and the Rabbit would have been totally frikken useless for me at the time.

FYI, the G6's sister car the Saturn Aura won car of the year over the all new Camry in more than 1 notable publication...

Not that I give a rats ass, better car or not I practically stole it from them and it's been far less problematic then my brother's 06 V6 Accord... MUCH less problematic.

Not that any of this has anything to do with this thread :eek:

Trust me, owning Volkswagen made me give up owning an automobile. Too many visits to have all that German engineering fixed.

Skip the car and buy the condo. A better investment as the condo will appreciate. In the end (which always is quick), cars just get crushed.

No no, buy LOTS of cars to keep the economy rolling, just stay the hell out of Toronto with them! :)

hah well, my car is going to be finding its way to leasebusters very soon.

My transition to the downtown lifestyle is nearly complete as today I handed in my 2 weeks notice to my current employer as I secured a job in a tower on the Yonge Subway line.

Without the car payment this condo thing is going to be much, MUCH easier.

How's it working out for you, anyway? How are you adjusting? I feel like you should be making regular posts to let us know how you're rehabilitating from your Milton lifestyle.

Well I've made the suburban to urban "crossover" many times throughout my life and I'll admit--they're both appealing for different (but probably obvious) reasons. Sometimes, space is what you want. Then you crave the action of an older urban area. Suddenly, you get this urge to just drive around.... Then you see how much money you're wasting on gas.... It's bizarre--but I can understand why for some people, the suburban lifestyle is better for them. Some people just like to be oblivious to the world around them, are more family-oriented or perhaps are new immigrants from maddingly dense crumbling old cities (bombay for example) and love the idea of the new new new suburbs! In the end, I'm realizing I like both lifestyles but ultimately, a cabin in the woods far from anybody (or an old farmhouse in New England) is where I want to live in my old age.

Back