News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

And never mentioning the DRL. http://reliefline.ca/
I'm afraid Toronto Transit "planning" since 2010 has turned me profoundly cynical. The *one* and *only* question that this City Council and Mayor Tory (assuming they really want to meet a July 1 2018 appointment date) should need to ask of potential candidates is: "Are you comfortable with mediocrity?"

“Are you comfortable with mediocrity?” Mediocrity? Mediocrity would be a stretch goal for this Mayor and Council.

Why? Nobody's opposed to building it.
Of course no one is opposed to building it; because we're not building it. Who would waste political capital opposing a hypothetical project?

What Byford's replacement will be expected to support is new surface rail to Scarborough and tail beyond city limits into Vaughan and beyond. These projects should have never been okay'd before the DRL. Instead the latter remains an unfunded aspiration.

Last edited:
What Byford's replacement will be expected to support is new surface rail to Scarborough and city limits into Vaughan and beyond. These projects should have never been okay'd before the DRL. Instead the latter remains an unfunded aspiration.

The TTC shouldn't stop working on everything else just because the Relief Line is still in the design & engineering process.

Point of view from New York City.

From the New York Daily News, at this link:

Welcome to New York, new transit boss Andy Byford! Now fix the subway

Dear Andy,

Welcome to South of the Border. Here are some suggestions for going forward:

1. Minimize your time in the executive suite and in chauffeured cars, and get out into the bus maintenance shops, subway stations and street corners. The MTA’s customers and workforce are both demoralized. Talk with them frankly. Repairing the physical infrastructure requires repairing the human bonds of public confidence.

2. The honesty of your personal conversations with riders must be systematically instilled throughout the MTA, by steps like opening up more of the agency’s performance data metrics to public scrutiny, or daylighting the fiscal bad habits that led to uncontrolled costs and debt. You must change the organizational culture of the MTA in order to fix the tracks.

3. Don’t accept the chronic excuses you’ll hear. Use your experience to debunk them. “Our system is unreliable because it is old.” No excuse: As you know personally, London’s system is older but works well. “Our costs are exorbitant because New York is expensive.” No excuse: Zurich and Tokyo are more expensive but have lower transit construction and operations costs. “New York is just different.” OK, that statement is true, but not when used as an excuse for why our transit is bad — instead, our exceptionalism should equate to New York being the best in transit, just like we’re the best in the arts, crime reduction or World Series rings.

4. Remember the bus. Elite opinion focuses on subway woes, but over 2 million New Yorkers suffer miserably slow, unreliable bus rides every day. Many fixes, like exclusive lanes and boarding through all doors, can be instituted relatively quickly, with big return on investment. You know that, too, because London (like Seoul and others) did it.

5. Stand your ground with the other Andy. We’re all excited by your skills, Andy B., but it’s still Andy C. up in Albany who controls the MTA. As a transit professional, and most importantly as a servant of the public at large, you should demand the Governor grant you and your agency the latitude and resources you need to do your job.

Cheers,

David Bragdon, executive director of the nonprofit Transit Center.
For #1, Andy Byford, while in Toronto, did not own a car. Probably will not own a car in NYC.

I'm afraid Toronto Transit "planning" since 2010 has turned me profoundly cynical. The *one* and *only* question that this City Council and Mayor Tory (assuming they really want to meet a July 1 2018 appointment date) should need to ask of potential candidates is: "Are you comfortable with mediocrity?"

Ford Nation: "Yes, as long as we hold the line on taxes!"

Shouting and applause

Point of view from New York City.

From the New York Daily News, at this link:

Welcome to New York, new transit boss Andy Byford! Now fix the subway

Dear Andy,

Welcome to South of the Border. Here are some suggestions for going forward:

1. Minimize your time in the executive suite and in chauffeured cars, and get out into the bus maintenance shops, subway stations and street corners. The MTA’s customers and workforce are both demoralized. Talk with them frankly. Repairing the physical infrastructure requires repairing the human bonds of public confidence.

2. The honesty of your personal conversations with riders must be systematically instilled throughout the MTA, by steps like opening up more of the agency’s performance data metrics to public scrutiny, or daylighting the fiscal bad habits that led to uncontrolled costs and debt. You must change the organizational culture of the MTA in order to fix the tracks.

3. Don’t accept the chronic excuses you’ll hear. Use your experience to debunk them. “Our system is unreliable because it is old.” No excuse: As you know personally, London’s system is older but works well. “Our costs are exorbitant because New York is expensive.” No excuse: Zurich and Tokyo are more expensive but have lower transit construction and operations costs. “New York is just different.” OK, that statement is true, but not when used as an excuse for why our transit is bad — instead, our exceptionalism should equate to New York being the best in transit, just like we’re the best in the arts, crime reduction or World Series rings.

4. Remember the bus. Elite opinion focuses on subway woes, but over 2 million New Yorkers suffer miserably slow, unreliable bus rides every day. Many fixes, like exclusive lanes and boarding through all doors, can be instituted relatively quickly, with big return on investment. You know that, too, because London (like Seoul and others) did it.

5. Stand your ground with the other Andy. We’re all excited by your skills, Andy B., but it’s still Andy C. up in Albany who controls the MTA. As a transit professional, and most importantly as a servant of the public at large, you should demand the Governor grant you and your agency the latitude and resources you need to do your job.

Cheers,

David Bragdon, executive director of the nonprofit Transit Center.
For #1, Andy Byford, while in Toronto, did not own a car. Probably will not own a car in NYC.
Interesting the article totally ignores Byford's years in Toronto. As in, you accomplished X in Toronto, so bring that to New York. Too bad there is no X.

The TTC shouldn't stop working on everything else just because the Relief Line is still in the design & engineering process.
Ok. But I wish the subway extending beyond city limits was not approved. Surely we could have taken a position that we'll begin extending Toronto's subway system beyond city limits, for example into York Region only once the city itself has sufficient subway capacity for its own needs. Since when is the subway supposed to be intercity rail?

I bet Peel Region will have subway stops before shovels start on the DRL, yes shown in jest here, but I'm still betting on this before the DRL https://www.insauga.com/mississauga-is-finally-getting-a-subway-extension

But I wish the subway extending beyond city limits was not approved. Surely we could have taken a position that we'll begin extending Toronto's subway system beyond city limits, for example into York Region only once the city itself has sufficient subway capacity for its own needs. Since when is the subway supposed to be intercity rail?

Intercity rail is when a railway connects two separate urban areas. Crossing an imaginary line on a map doesn't make the subway "intercity rail" (many subway systems all over the world do this), and the way the TYSSE was funded is actually very fair to Toronto. The municipal portion of costs was divided in between Toronto and York Region, with Toronto paying for the portion between Sheppard West and York U, and York Region paying for the rest. The TTC has the freedom to charge an extra fare north of Highway 7, and they're choosing not to.

I bet Peel Region will have subway stops before shovels start on the DRL, yes shown in jest here, but I'm still betting on this before the DRL https://www.insauga.com/mississauga-is-finally-getting-a-subway-extension

Check the date on that link.

Last edited:
Intercity rail is when a railway connects two separate urban areas. Crossing an imaginary line on a map doesn't make the subway "intercity rail" (many subway systems all over the world do this), and the way the TYSSE was funded is actually very fair to Toronto. The municipal portion of costs was divided in between Toronto and York Region, with Toronto paying for the portion between Sheppard West and York U, and York Region paying for the rest. The TTC has the freedom to charge an extra fare north of Highway 7, and they're choosing not to.
Sounds like you've got all the popular justifications right. These same arguments can be made for extending Toronto's subway further into other cities. Perhaps that's where Byford's replacement will be directed, certainly not to shovels on the DRL. Byford's replacement (and myself, 46 yrs now) will likely be retired before the DRL is built.

Perhaps that's where Byford's replacement will be directed, certainly not to shovels on the DRL. Byford's replacement (and myself, 46 yrs now) will likely be retired before the DRL is built.

I don't know where you're getting the false impression that the city prioritizes extensions into other cities over the DRL, when everyone on city council (except maybe David Shiner) says the complete opposite of that.

TYSSE going into Vaughan was done for provincial and federal funding. It would've cost the city a lot more to pay its own way for an extension that ended at York U.

I don't know where you're getting the false impression that the city prioritizes extensions into other cities over the DRL, when everyone on city council (except maybe David Shiner) says the complete opposite of that.

TYSSE going into Vaughan was done for provincial and federal funding. It would've cost the city a lot more to pay its own way for an extension that ended at York U.
My impression comes from what's being built vs. what's being endlessly discussed. While intercity rail may not be a priority to council, definitely extending LRT and subways into Toronto's suburbs is. Would you agree that's likely going to be a priority for Byford's replacement? I can't imagine anyone demanding the SSE (or even a Downsview line extension) be put aside until the DRL is built would get hired.

It's worth noting that the TYSSE to Vaughan project wasn't a one off example of the province pushing Toronto's subway into other cities. I wonder which would get started first, the DRL or this subway into Richmond Hill http://www.metrolinx.com/en/news/announcements/201610_Yonge_North_Subway.aspx

So, if you're Byford's replacement, you'll be expected to support Metrolinx' projects to extend your system beyond your city, while neglecting the biggest priority project of all, IMO.

Last edited:
I can't imagine anyone demanding the SSE (or even a Downsview line extension) be put aside until the DRL is built would get hired.

Yes, because they shouldn't be - this idea is stupid. If a transit project needs to be built, it should be built (don't start the SSE debate). Unless there are technical reasons why one transit project slows down another, there's no reason why one project should have to wait for another to be finished.

I wonder which would get started first, the DRL or this subway into Richmond Hill

When subways get extended into the 905 its a way of funding projects here in Toronto. The subway going into Vaughan was a way of getting the $2 billion subway extension to York University for a quarter of its cost. In all likelihood, the Yonge subway extension will be a way of getting funding for the Relief Line, and the two projects will be advanced together. You have to be insane to think the Yonge extension is a higher priority than the Relief Line for anyone on city council, except maybe David Shiner (whose ward gets two new stations).

Back