News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Surely another reason is financial?

We undoubtedly have the money to pay for the DRL. No other subway or LRT projects can change that. Whether we have the willingness to spend that money is another issue, but by all indications the current provincial government is willing to spend it. The city... they probably do but they'll pander for lots of federal and provincial funding.

The TTC would be wise to continue looking outside North America for a new CEO.

After Andy Byford: What's next for the TTC after CEO leaves for New York?
Experts concerned about ridership growth strategy, big subway projects without high-profile leader
"My big concern is that Andy was an articulate spokesman for the projects that he got behind," transit advocate Steve Munro told CBC Toronto in a phone interview.

"I am not entirely sure without him being there to argue for them they're going to have the same momentum."
And these are big projects, Munro says, including the ridership growth strategy (now punted to early-2018, even though ridership is stagnating right now) and the downtown relief line (still in the early planning phase with 2031 as the projected opening date).

"The relief line really needs a push, and it needs a push to keep it moving," he said.
In his farewell remarks, Byford said a five-year plan for the TTC is in place and the executive team he's leaving behind — of which women now make up 50 per cent, something he's extremely proud of — are well-prepared to handle that work, even though it can be a "thankless, relentless task."
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/toronto/ttc-after-andy-byford-1.4416652

Another departure.

City of Toronto Media Relations has issued the following:
==========================================

News Release

December 18, 2017

Toronto Deputy City Manager John Livey announces retirement

Deputy City Manager John Livey today announced his plans to retire on April 4, 2018. Livey has served as Deputy City Manager, Cluster B since August 2011.

"On behalf of City Council, I would like to thank John for his leadership in serving the City of Toronto over the past seven years," said Mayor John Tory. "His dedication as a senior leader has contributed to making Toronto better for its residents. He has helped us move forward and make real progress on several major projects.”

In this role, Livey has been responsible for corporate oversight and administrative governance of his cluster. He has overseen the City's collaborative efforts on major city-wide initiatives and projects for multiple City divisions including City Planning, Transportation Services, Engineering and Construction Services, Toronto Water, Solid Waste Management Services, Toronto Building, Municipal Licensing & Standards, Fire Services, Major Capital Infrastructure Coordination, Office of Emergency Management and the Waterfront Secretariat.

“John is known as a principled leader with a commitment to innovation and excellence,” said City Manager Peter Wallace. “He has always faced obstacles and challenges head on, with a drive to deliver the best possible results for the residents of Toronto. His determination and hard work will certainly be missed."

"It has been an honour to work for the City of Toronto," said Livey. "I would like to thank my many staff teams, senior management colleagues, Mayor Tory and the Members of Council with whom I have had the privilege to work. I know that City staff will continue to advance city-building initiatives through innovation and a commitment to continuous improvement."

While Livey's achievements have been many, notable successes in this role include the Port Lands development and implementation plan, including the Don Mouth Naturalization and Port Lands Flood Protection Project; providing leadership on the transit file including Smart Track, Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension, Relief Line and Scarborough Transit Network; overseeing the Gardiner East Environmental Assessment; ongoing Waterfront Revitalization initiatives; and the recent Council approval of Rail Deck Park. Livey also led the City's emergency response to major weather incidents including the severe flooding in July 2013 and the December 2013 ice storm.

Prior to joining the City of Toronto, Livey served as Chief Administrative Officer for the Town of Markham and as the President of Markham Enterprises Corporation, and he worked with the Region of York, the former Municipality of Metropolitan Toronto and the Province of Ontario.

The process to hire Livey's replacement will begin in early 2018.

This news release is also available on the City's website: http://ow.ly/tUZg30hiCb9

2018 will be interesting.

It is looking more as if the legacy of Tory's 2014-18 mayoral term will be defined by the persons he picks to replace these three positions.

Back