News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I had dinner at Omi the other night... wow, their sushi is delicious. At first, I was a little miffed at the portion size/price ratio (I was spoiled by the old Sushi Today on Parliament), but I changed my mind after letting a piece melt in my mouth.

And corn tea in lieu of green tea!

Hi Roy,

The decor of Omi looks rather drab, especially compared to the sushi spot on the north side of Carlton near Mid Toronto, so I assumed that the food must be excellent in order to stay in biz.

Hi Roy,

The decor of Omi looks rather drab, especially compared to the sushi spot on the north side of Carlton near Mid Toronto, so I assumed that the food must be excellent in order to stay in biz.

Thankfully, the food is excellent. The decor is pretty minimal. I must admit that the "bar seating" is kind of odd. You're basically staring into a blank wall. A long mirror would look great there.

Gourmet Burger Review:

Apologies to Dilla, for stealing his delicious limelight.

Tonight was opening night, so we dropped by. I thought it was going to be a sit-down restaurant, but it's actually more of a takeout place with a couple of stools. Thankfully, it was nice and clean looking inside. For Parliament, that's already impressive!

Basically you get local chicken, beef, lamb or veggie burgers with lots of toppings for cheap. They are also very green-conscious (recyclable packaging, biodegradable plastics etc). The burgers themselves are sloppy and great... I recommend the intimidating, yet tasty, Aussie burger. Every had pineapple, fried egg and beets in a burger?

Everything is under $9, which is awesome. You're basically paying a little more than fast food prices for food that tastes infinitely better and is local..... That's the way they can be successful, and I hope they are. The owner is an Australian dude, and is very nice.

It's a hit. Support it.

Apologies to Dilla, for stealing his delicious limelight.

NOOOOOOO! THEY BE STEAL'N MY LIMELIGHT! ;)

Steal away. I made bacon cheeseburgers at home on Monday night (and had two), so i haven't been able to bring myself to have another half pound of ground beef yet. I'm sure I'll get around to it on the weekend. Good to hear it's up to expectations.

I'd tend to agree. It's minimalist chic, i suppose, but i don't care for it.
What i really don't understand is the row of stools facing the west wall. You'd probably want to be eating alone and reading a newspaper when seated at a wall facing stool, and there's 10 or more chairs lined up along it. I don't see that many loners going for sushi. Could they not have fit in tables of two with the chairs facing north/south? Anyway, not my restaurant, I suppose.

The market will decide if this layout is working, but I sense that the designer of Omi's decor must have thought that his food was so great that people would come in spite of the decor. I can't imagine just sitting there starting at a brick wall, especially when there is a vast space behind you. Most people, IMO, like to sit so that they can see into the space, probably hails back to the gunslinger days.

The old JavaVille location

from http://cabbagetownnews.blogspot.com/

JavaVille

Good news about the property at Carlton and Parliament. The owner, George Foulides, has submitted preliminary plans to the City of Toronto for a brand new, three storey commercial building on the site. The ground floor will house an operating business and the upper two floors will have office space for rent. George expects the public consultations to start in the winter.

That's great news. An office building would keep the street's business focus, and bring more daytime consumer traffic.

Agreed. I'm quite surprised, actually. I wouldn't have thought there would be much office demand in the area, but I'm glad to hear someone (who's willing to bet big bucks on it) thinks there is.

Anyone want to go to the public consultations and harass NIMBYs?

Agreed. I'm quite surprised, actually. I wouldn't have thought there would be much office demand in the area, but I'm glad to hear someone (who's willing to bet big bucks on it) thinks there is.

Anyone want to go to the public consultations and harass NIMBYs?

I don't want no stinkin' office space in my neighborhood. This is a residential area, not Bay St. For all we know, they could be lawyers. Imagine walking past that scum-magnet with your children?

Nobody EVER thinks of the children.

I don't want no stinkin' office space in my neighborhood. This is a residential area, not Bay St. For all we know, they could be lawyers. Imagine walking past that scum-magnet with your children?

Nobody EVER thinks of the children.

But can you imagine a world without lawyers?

200px-World-without-lawyers.gif

That didn't take long

We get a rendering...

Again, from http://cabbagetownnews.blogspot.com/

Parliament-Carleton-SPA-elev-2.jpg

Parliament-Carleton-SPA-elev-2.jpg

The proposal for the new building at this corner has been released to us. It’s now in the hands of the City of Toronto and the owner expects that public meetings will begin in earnest in January.
This is a major location for all of us in this area. Its fate has been discussed widely for the past two years.
The drawings illustrated here give you a preliminary look at the owner’s ideas. A new, three-storey building will replace the old JavaVille structure. Its first floor will hold commercial or retail space and the top two floors will contain commercial office space.
Whenever opportunities arise for public viewing or discussion of these plans, we will announce them here in the Newsletter.

Last edited:
Wow - nice new addition for "Logo Corp."!

In all seriousness, this is going to be the next TD Canada Trust branch.

In all seriousness, this is going to be the next TD Canada Trust branch.
That would be fanta'bulous. It wasn't too long ago that the banks were leaving the area (ScotiaBank) or threatening to (CIBC).

Hopefully they can find some good office tenants for the floors above, as downtown already has enough shady immigration consultants and the like.

Back