News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I should've specified a bit, by family I meant my parents and sisters. I live down here on my own, but they live out north of Markham. The youngest is 16, so anything that's not exclusively 19+ is fine. I looked up that Jam Cafe place, it looks pretty nice, a little more in line of what I was imagining. Peter's looks good too, although whenever I pass by, it looks pretty small inside. I thought it was more of a takeout place.

Sisters, eh? huhuhuhuhuh.

Yeah, Peter's was more for the (non-existent) kiddies. It's more of a takeout place for sure.

16 at the youngest? Then, consider the House on Parliament (HOP). The food there is excellent, more bistro food than pub food, and the atmosphere is lively, to say the least. It's a pub, but there's sometimes children in there eating with their parents, so a 16 year old would love it and is more than welcome. I could be a bit loud, though, when it's full there's a lot of talking going on, and there's often lineups. Even if you don't go with the family, i recommend going yourself or with friends. It's got the most personality, for sure.

There's also the Stone Grill, I've never been at all. It looks really nice, although it's not as cozy looking as either the Pear Tree, HOP, or Jam Café. I get the impression that's something you were looking for.

Looks like the Cabbagetown Heritage folks prefer an empty shell than the new development...

http://www.cabbagetownnews.blogspot.com/

George Rust D’Eye from the heritage district advisory committee opposed the demolition of the current building.
(We’ve got a lot of Georges on this project.)
When the Committee learned that there is a community disagreement, they deferred their hearing and decision to a future date. This matter could be resumed at any time within the next ninety days. The redevelopment on the site has, therefore, stopped.
In the meantime, everyone is busy trying to fix the problem. George Foulides will be consulting with the heritage group. The architects for the new proposal are talking to local architects in order to draft a better exterior façade. Public meetings will be held after these two events. Final proposals will then be displayed in the BIA office for everyone to inspect.
Stay tuned.

I keep forgetting to tell you (I don't think I've mentioned it here, anyway), but Wing Machine got their liquor license. I had a beer there last night, and yeah, there was already some...er..."eccentrics" in there, just drinking beer, not eating.

They should probably have a rule there where you don't get served booze if you don't order food. For their own sake.
Yeah, I saw that. Haven't seen any homeless drunks wandering around yet. The summer will tell.

Coffee Time still seems derelict, while Tims is doing a good job keeping the rollie and mullet crowd civil.

Sisters, eh? huhuhuhuhuh.

Yeah, Peter's was more for the (non-existent) kiddies. It's more of a takeout place for sure.

16 at the youngest? Then, consider the House on Parliament (HOP). The food there is excellent, more bistro food than pub food, and the atmosphere is lively, to say the least. It's a pub, but there's sometimes children in there eating with their parents, so a 16 year old would love it and is more than welcome. I could be a bit loud, though, when it's full there's a lot of talking going on, and there's often lineups. Even if you don't go with the family, i recommend going yourself or with friends. It's got the most personality, for sure.

There's also the Stone Grill, I've never been at all. It looks really nice, although it's not as cozy looking as either the Pear Tree, HOP, or Jam Café. I get the impression that's something you were looking for.

I've actually been to the House on Parliament a few times, I absolutely love it. Great atmosphere, tasty food, good pints. I can see it becoming my local spot, possibly taking over Betty's on King St.

I really like the look of the Jam Café, it fits what I had in mind perfectly. I think that's where I'll end up going. Thanks again for the tips.

Looks like the Cabbagetown Heritage folks prefer an empty shell than the new development...

http://www.cabbagetownnews.blogspot.com/

No surprises there. I wasn't thrilled with the render I saw, but the building which is there now is quite forgettable, something new isn't going to kill the neighbourhood.

egotrippin - Let me know how the dinner goes.

Last edited:
short update:

Coffee Time is back in business.

The new condos on Aberdeen and Parliament seem largely dormant. I've never seen anyone working on the interior of that building. They did the outside and walked away. This goes for the "Starbucks" which was said to be opening in the retail section of the building.

What used to be "Prosperity Graphics" (i'm not sure I have the name right, but it was something close to that)between the Children's Dance studio and Winchester is being worked on, so it would seem we're getting a new something there.

I'm not sure how I feel about the new building at Carlton and Parliament getting the no-go. I wasn't crazy about the proposal, but I'm also not crazy about this place being empty for the next decade.

egotrippin - Let me know how the dinner goes.

I shall, it may not be for a little bit though.

While a vacant space is no fun, perhaps the bonus is that it'll delay Starbucks moving in. Now I'm not one to be all "anti-chain" and whatnot, but I like some areas to remain untouched when it comes to SB and the like. This area deserves some more local and independent cafes and retailers first.

Cabbagetown already has lots of independent restaurants and to a lesser extent cafes. What we're missing, with the exception of Tims, are anchor chains. I can't wait to see the Starbucks, and for that matter would love to see a Book City chainstore in Cabbagetown.

Cabbagetown already has lots of independent restaurants and to a lesser extent cafes. What we're missing, with the exception of Tims, are anchor chains. I can't wait to see the Starbucks, and for that matter would love to see a Book City chainstore in Cabbagetown.

We've got a Shoppers, too!

You're probably in the minority in your support of more chains in the area.
I'm ambivalent, to an extent. I can understand things like the Leslieville Wal-Mart getting people uppity, but here in Cabbagetown, a little Tim Horton's in arguably the most beautiful building on the street got people upset. It's not like it's changed the face or functioning of the neighbourhood. I'm more sore about the bright orange Pizza Pizza with a parking lot just up the street, and other circus themed eyesores than these guys.

I don't see Starbucks as a deal breaker in this neighbourhood. While the service is often rude or at least of profound indifference, Jet Fuel's going to rule the roost on this section of Parliament for the foreseeable future.

What other chains would you like to see, Beez? Other than the book store, I'm at a loss as to what else is missing on the strip which could be fixed with a chain opening up. Even then, Book city has nice small locations. A lot of chains do not do "urban" well.

Last edited:
We've got a Shoppers, too!

What other chains would you like to see, Beez? Other than the book store, I'm at a loss as to what else is missing on the strip which could be fixed with a chain opening up. Even then, Book city has nice small locations. A lot of chains do not do "urban" well.
That's true, we have Shoppers, now with a post office, much better than the grouchy folks across the road.

As for other chain stores that could contribute well to CT.... let's start with the obvious and add a 8am-8pm TD Canada Trust or other late service bank. Next, let's expand the International News store with some real sit down space, maybe along the lines of a magazine cafe like some Timothy's outlets. How about a chain family restaurant where I can take my kids, like a (I know, I know, insert quote here, 'cause you hate them and their lack of urban style...) Swiss Chalet?

Last edited:
You couldn't pay me to go to Jet Fuel. They have the rudest and nastiest customer service I've experienced in Toronto.

Cabbagetown Coffee News:

From http://cabbagetownnews.blogspot.com/

Starbucks has taken the keys from the building owner and is starting to build its new store on the first floor at Aberdeen and Parliament. Estimates are that the first coffees will flow in mid-March.
Coffee Time on the northeast corner of Winchester and Parliament has reopened. The interior walls around the old smoking cubicle have been removed. It’s now a corporate store and the chain is accepting applications from anyone interested in buying a franchise here.
Meantime, bloggers across the internet continue to sing the praises of Jet Fuel (519 Parliament)and all its eccentricities.

Yeah, Jet Fuel service is terrible. My theory is some people like it rude and nasty, 'cause if it's not them getting made fun of or ignored, then they feel more important than the person who is, maybe? At any rate, "Jet Fuel" is the "Rotate This" of coffee.

The coffee at Daniel et Daniel is really good, and often overlooked.

And, in winter sports news...

Last week, we introduced the amazing downhill couch toboggan that had appeared on Riverdale Park hill. A few readers didn’t know (or believe) what we were talking about. So, for a good laugh and proof positive, here’s a one-minute video supplied by the racers themselves: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=m_EX0AnSgQs
You gotta love Cabbagetown.

Last edited:
That's true, we have Shoppers, now with a post office, much better than the grouchy folks across the road.

As for other chain stores that could contribute well to CT.... let's start with the obvious and add a 8am-8pm TD Canada Trust or other late service bank. Next, let's expand the International News store with some real sit down space, maybe along the lines of a magazine cafe like some Timothy's outlets. How about a chain family restaurant where I can take my kids, like a (I know, I know, insert quote here, 'cause you hate them and their lack of urban style...) Swiss Chalet?

A TD bank is a glaring hole, yes. There's one down in the basement of the MET, but that's not really close enough. There's only a Scotia Bank machine around, too. The CIBC is now open on Saturdays, and they have an ATM inside.

I don't know i've ever seen an International News with seats, do they do that sort of set up? I've always found them horrifically expensive when held against the Shoppers down the street, or even the independent corner stores.

I don't have a problem with Swiss Chalet. I whish they would tone the huge red signs down a bit, but I'd welcome one (If you look back in this thread, you'll see I was happy when that rumor about them opening at Carlton was flying about). What I was getting at above is that some people seem to despise some chains (like Tim's and Starbucks) moving in, but don't say a peep when a second bright orange Pizza Pizza with a liquor licence and parking spots opens up a block away. I just don't get it.

Last edited:

Back