News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Oh, sorry my bad. I didn't realize you couldn't walk past your district's boundaries. I'm so silly.

p.s. Thanks for the border lesson.
No worries. I live south of Spruce St., north of Gerrard and to some Cabbagetown folks to the north, I am considered outside the boundaries. Much like when I was kid living in the Beach(es) and folks who lived south of Queen said they were living in the Beaches (no one said Beach back then, at least to me since people still identified with the separate Beaches of the area, Kew Beach, etc...).

I'm all for expanding an areas boundaries, within reason and where it makes sense architecturally, historically and demographically. I could never accept that houses above Kingston Rd, for example, were the Upper Beach.

"no one said Beach back then, at least to me since people still identified with the separate Beaches of the area, Kew Beach"

Do you know how many times I've been corrected by a recent transplant about the terminology used in Beaches V Beach... I agree, the neighbourhood has always been the Beaches, the beach is the sand at the end of the street.
As per Cabbagetown, I agree the traditional boundries are Parliament to the Don, Gerrard to Wellesley, but I wouldn't say that someone on Ontario north of Carlton doesn't live in Cabbagetown, but I agree that south of Gerrard is a bit of a stretch.

Odd. It must have been a misquote on my part.

RE: JAVAVILLE:

That building is so "meh" to me, and that corner is far too important for a "meh" building. I am realistic, and realize it won't get much better. Do you know if it has a flat roof? I hope not.

View+from+southwest.jpg

It's as "meh" as they come, and that's about the best we can hope for, yes. The final design is not finished yet, but let's not slide into the trap of false hopes.

Beez, notice the TD symbol on the model above?

I would assume, from the images i've seen it's going to have a flat roof. Most of the other buildings near to it on Parliament have flat roofs, as well.

It seems the ever sketchy "Paradise Bar and Grill" on Parliament has closed down. It hasn't been open since last Thursday, and there's a sign on the door saying it will be open again on Friday. However, there hasn't been a soul in there since.

This is fantastic news, as the crowd there was terrifying, and I don't toss that word around lightly.

It seems the ever sketchy "Paradise Bar and Grill" on Parliament has closed down. It hasn't been open since last Thursday, and there's a sign on the door saying it will be open again on Friday. However, there hasn't been a soul in there since.

This is fantastic news, as the crowd there was terrifying, and I don't toss that word around lightly.

I would always peer in and be amazed by the big room with the single pool table in the middle. Creepy.

Do you know how many times I've been corrected by a recent transplant about the terminology used in Beaches V Beach... I agree, the neighbourhood has always been the Beaches, the beach is the sand at the end of the street.

I don't know... My grandmother grew up at Queen and Woodbine, and to this day I get evil death-eyes if I use the plural. (Which I only ever do to tease her because, duh, I know by now it's the singular).

But yes, Cabbagetown. I'm moving back in a few weeks. If I recall, the farmers' market at Riverdale park was/is fantastic.

I don't know... My grandmother grew up at Queen and Woodbine, and to this day I get evil death-eyes if I use the plural. (Which I only ever do to tease her because, duh, I know by now it's the singular)
That's because she lived on Woodbine Beach, now more commonly known as Ashbridges Bay. Those to the east of your Grandmother would have considered themselves to be on Kew Beach, and those east of there would be on Balmy Beach. It is these three beaches which give the neighbourhood its name. To tell your Grandmother that she lived in the Beaches must have annoyed her, because she knew she didn't live on Balmy or Kew Beaches, but on Woodbine Beach.

I would always peer in and be amazed by the big room with the single pool table in the middle. Creepy.

It was pretty busy there for a while, and they had a black gay night (chocolate city?) for a time which seemed fun and popular, but it didn't last long. During the summer there was obviouslly a lot of underage drinking going on. I'd walk by and there were ten 16 year olds smoking out front, then walking in for more booze.

I have witnessed numerous fights and almost fights out front. One time two (white) guys whaled on another (black) guy in the middle of the street for a while and when they'd finished one of the white guys yelled, "that's why you don't hit girls, ni**er!". Classy.

I can tell you the people moving into the new condos at Aberdeen should count their blessings (assuming it isn't going to re-open), as there was a back patio filled with low rent thugs yelling at each other up until 3am most summer nights.

EDIT: Shitballs. I just got home, and the Paradise is open. Ah, well.

Last edited:
EDIT: Shitballs. I just got home, and the Paradise is open. Ah, well.

What are we waiting for! Let's get a pint!

My father and I were helping my sister move into a nearby condo, and we had this Budget cube-van that we were forced to park overnight. I remembered the public lot in behind the Paradise, and suggested we leave it there. As we pulled into a spot, we realized that a man was peeing directly in front of us, and eventually on the hood of the van. My Dad is from a nice neighborhood in Ottawa, and was just astounded. Meanwhile, I LOLed.

What are we waiting for! Let's get a pint!

I've been in there a few times before, but never again. Last time my roommate (who's not paranoid about these things) went there, he came around the block and came in our back door so that no one would see where he lived. He was pretty sure two guys were following him, so he actually started running when he got around the corner at Carlton and they couldn't see him anymore. This was about two weeks ago.

My father and I were helping my sister move into a nearby condo, and we had this Budget cube-van that we were forced to park overnight. I remembered the public lot in behind the Paradise, and suggested we leave it there. As we pulled into a spot, we realized that a man was peeing directly in front of us, and eventually on the hood of the van. My Dad is from a nice neighborhood in Ottawa, and was just astounded. Meanwhile, I LOLed.

Shit, I can only imagine what my parents would think. "Uh...jeez, Dad, it's really not so bad around here...usually."

On a side note, I have friends use that lot when they come in from out of town, and no one has ever gotten a ticket. Not once out of a dozen times using it.

I really don't know if i should bother to just keep pasting what's on this blog or not. Tell me if you find it useful, if everyone is reading it anyway, I won't do it anymore.

From http://cabbagetownnews.blogspot.com/
Home Hardware

A really interesting renovation is happening on the façade at Royal Home Hardware (485 Parliament). The top storey is being refaced in copper – around the windows, the facia and soffits. Special rounded eavestroughes will emphasize the building’s Victorian style. The slate has been crumbling and is being removed with additional copper being applied to the building front.

DSC_0086.JPG

The JavaVille site

The building’s owner appeared at the City’s Committee of Adjustment on Wednesday. He received permission to go ahead with the two variances that he needed: on the parking and on the change from residential to commercial usage upstairs. Now his plans are being examined for the final Site Plan approvals.

I'm looking forward to the home hardware reno, it being right at the "end" or Carlton, it's a very visible building in the neighbourhood. Copper seems an odd material, but I'm not complaining.

Yes please do, there many blogs out there with neighborhood specific information but it's hassle to keep tabs on them all.

It's much nicer getting the relevant info here on UT.

Thanks for keeping us updated!

I really don't know if i should bother to just keep pasting what's on this blog or not. Tell me if you find it useful, if everyone is reading it anyway, I won't do it anymore.

From http://cabbagetownnews.blogspot.com/

I'm looking forward to the home hardware reno, it being right at the "end" or Carlton, it's a very visible building in the neighbourhood. Copper seems an odd material, but I'm not complaining.

Over time the copper will turn a nice green colour from oxidation. I hope as part of the restoration that they replace the ugly "slider" windows on the second floor with windows which resemble the original design. So many of our heritage buildings (all over this city) have been ruined by the installation of these ugly slider windows which destroy the character of the building.

Back