News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Finally!!!!

photo.JPG

This is going to make such a huge improvement to the street. And other new businesses moving in all the time.

Parliament between Wellesley and Gerrard just keeps getting nicer all the time.

My neighbour just bought his new laptop at The Source on Parliament and said the store and staff were great. I don't imagine the prices were the lowest, but it's great to have an electronics store within walking distance, though we always had Staples down the road.

The Source is great. It's owned by Bell. More stores within walking distance than any other electronic retailer in Canada. The stores aren't as big, but they have more locations than Best Buy or Futureshop.

The Source is great. It's owned by Bell. More stores within walking distance than any other electronic retailer in Canada. The stores aren't as big, but they have more locations than Best Buy or Futureshop.
Shopped there for the first time last night. The store is bright and modern, almost feels like a portal to somewhere else.

Anyone eat at the new German-themed sandwich place on Gerrard, at the south-east corner at Parliament? Looks good, with a line up of customers last night.

Shopped there for the first time last night. The store is bright and modern, almost feels like a portal to somewhere else.

Anyone eat at the new German-themed sandwich place on Gerrard, at the south-east corner at Parliament? Looks good, with a line up of customers last night.

I've been there 3 or 4 times, most recently last weekend. I really like it. It's all halal, so a bit odd that this German place does not have pork. Mix of Regent Park and Cabbagetown types. The owner has been there each time, he's proper German, and they have a lot of real German foods (currywurst). I've had the chicken and fish schnitzels, they're great and less than $7. Recommend - I hope this place does really well.

What's the name of this place ?

Last edited:
I've been to Fry Haus a number of times and I really like it. The food is good and the prices are great. They make really good home made sauces for their sandwiches. They have good size portions, so you can't go wrong at this place.

Now I'm sad that I never went before leaving the neighbourhood. Doesn't seem like a natural fit for the location, so I wish them the best of luck.

Farewell Cabbagetown. You gave me 4 years of restaurant turnover (but the HOP will never die), No Thrills, Cabbagetown Cadillacs (aka Rascals), and arguing with my friends who never wanted to go east of Yonge.

Now I'm sad that I never went before leaving the neighbourhood. Doesn't seem like a natural fit for the location, so I wish them the best of luck.

Farewell Cabbagetown. You gave me 4 years of restaurant turnover (but the HOP will never die), No Thrills, Cabbagetown Cadillacs (aka Rascals), and arguing with my friends who never wanted to go east of Yonge.

Really curious did you move west of Yonge ? ; - )

Enjoy Amsterdam! When I last went we stayed in the Jordaan, and marveled at how the houses had big windows that fronted on the street, and people didn't seem to use curtains...you'd see dinner parties, lazy mornings, cooking in lovely kitchens, and just general life in each of these homes. When I came back to Cabbagetown, I remember walking on Wellseley Street by the park and seeing pretty much the same thing!

Enjoy Amsterdam! When I last went we stayed in the Jordaan, and marveled at how the houses had big windows that fronted on the street, and people didn't seem to use curtains...you'd see dinner parties, lazy mornings, cooking in lovely kitchens, and just general life in each of these homes. When I came back to Cabbagetown, I remember walking on Wellseley Street by the park and seeing pretty much the same thing!

Had a great walk today from top of Sackville St. all the way down Sackville to King and then walked around Bright St. and the other small back streets. In my 16 years in Cabbagetown I have never before walked all the way down Sackville. It was great to see the gentrifying neighbourhoods.

Is gentrification good or bad?
Matter of opinion of course. From my perspecrive, having moved to CT in 1998 when whores were on the corners and in the back alleys, where drunks from the rooming houses would urinate on the street, when shopping on Parliament meant dodging beggars and the crazies muttering to themselves, where cars and property were vandalized, where few middle class family would raise their kids or send them to the local school, where gold toothed gangstas would shoot each other over drugs or whatever motivates them, and where drug dealers wait on the corners right in the middle of CT to sell their stuff. Where on Parliament iwhere most businesses were rough bars or junk shops. That's what Cabbagetown was in 1998.

Gentrification over the past sixteen years eliminated the rooming houses and their drunken disruptive clients, brought new businesses to Parliament St including nice independent bakeries and respectable chains like Starbucks, Dollarama and The Source. Vandalism is way down, and I haven't seen a whore, drug dealer, beggar or muttering crazy in CT east of Parliament in years. The now higher income iocals now raise their kids in CT and for the most part send their kids to the local schools.

So, to me gentrification has been great.

Back