News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

To me gentrification is also great, for all those reason you listed.

Who wouldn't want less crime, vandalism, prostitution and drug dealing? Who wouldn't want better shops, services and neighbours?

My sister that's who.

Her and her left leaning friends use gentrification as a bad word. It means rich people displacing poor people. It's class warfare. She would also take extreme exception to you calling prostitutes 'whores' and would instead prefer 'sex workers.' No judgement. All work is of equal value. I guess drug dealers are simply independent businessmen.

Of course poor and crime don't need to go together. And poor people certainly don't want crime any more than their middle-class counterparts.

We moved into Cabbagetown about 2 years ago and love it. When we were shopping around we saw similar homes in the Annex and North Toronto going for $200,000 - $300,000 more. It seemed a steal to grab a beautiful Victorian on a tree lined street in the $800,000. Since then it seems hard to find a house in Cabbagetown under a million. I'm not sure if the area is appreciating faster than the rest of Toronto or if a rising tide is lifting all boats so to speak.

Before Cabbagetown I lived in loft on Sorauren. It was a converted hard loft that was originally full of poorer artists and so on. They decried the yuppy scum that was moving in and displacing them. Pushing the working poor further out to the fringes of society.

Maybe I'm just seeing things from my privileged middle-class perspective, but to me it's a good thing when neighbourhoods improve.

I am not naive on the matter, and fully accept that gentrification in Cabbagetown is class warfare. Here's a good article on the topic http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/0...ality-cabbagetown-middle-class_n_1219063.html

I couldn't afford to live in Cabbagetown today if I was starting again. In 1998 our five bedroom semi cost well under $300K. Now I assume it's worth three times that, and rest assured my earnings have not tripled in that same period.

Had a great walk today from top of Sackville St. all the way down Sackville to King and then walked around Bright St. and the other small back streets. In my 16 years in Cabbagetown I have never before walked all the way down Sackville. It was great to see the gentrifying neighbourhoods.

To be honest, there's a lot more reasons to walk all the way down Sackville/Sumach now than there were 10 years ago! Not least of which: these are now continuous streets that you can actually walk down, and Regent Park actually has things worth seeing in it now. Sackville in particular is great because you have a right-of-way the entire distance, as well as pedestrian crossings at Gerrard, Dundas, and Shuter. The fact that you pass the new Regent Park Aquatic Centre on the way, as well as the new parks and cafes is a plus as well.

I find we often head down this route to Corktown Common or the Gilead Cafe. It's odd to walk south from Cabbagetown but it can now be worthwile.

Final tidbit: a prospective buyer withdrew an offer on our Corktown house in 2010 when he learned that he could see the Regent Park towers from one of the windows (he said it depressed him). Those towers are now gone.

Shopped today at London Calling, the new UK themed shop on Carlton St. west of Parliament. I have to say I was disappointed with the employee and overall the experience. I'm a British born Canuck and you could tell when I walked in that I was a raving fan of all things British. However the staffer couldn't have cared less, didn't make eye contact, didn't get off his chair and just gave an unenthusiastic hello to my greeting. While I looked around with obvious interest, the staffer just watched his laptop or tablet. When I made my purchase the staffer again couldn't care less AFAICT, just bagged my purchase in a generic bag, without any insert to introduce the store or present call to action (i.e. go to my website, suggest new products, etc).

Folks if you want to run a store front biz you've got to emotionally connect with your customers, especially those who share your enthusiasm for what you're offering. Here's how it should have gone down today. I walk in, showing obvious enthusiasm for the over the top British genre, and you get off your chair, say hello, ask me if this is my first time in the store, I would reply yes, ask me about my interest in British stuff, at which time I mention my UK origins, my youth in the 1970s when my aunts would send me UK sweets and comics in the mail, and you then offer a tour of the small store. I then purchase what I originally wanted, and then also purchase three other items I hadn't intended, all of which you put in a London Calling branded bag and in goes an insert with the website and a call to action. Then I go home and post on Urban Toronto that anyone who liked British themed/origin products should go to London Calling. THIS is what I wanted to report back.....

Whomever owns this shop need only walk two or three storefronts down to Kendall and Company to see how an independent storefront retailer should act https://www.facebook.com/kendallandcodesign

Last edited:
Shopped today at London Calling, the new UK themed shop on Carlton St. west of Parliament. I have to say I was disappointed with the employee and overall the experience. I'm a British born Canuck and you could tell when I walked in that I was a raving fan of all things British. However the staffer couldn't have cared less, didn't make eye contact, didn't get off his chair and just gave an unenthusiastic hello to my greeting. While I looked around with obvious interest, the staffer just watched his laptop or tablet. When I made my purchase the staffer again couldn't care less AFAICT, just bagged my purchase in a generic bag, with insert to introduce the store or present call to action (i.e. go to my website, suggest new products, etc).

Folks if you want to run a store front biz you've got to emotionally connect with your customers, especially those who share your enthusiasm for what you're offering. Here's how it should have gone down today. I walk in, showing obvious enthusiasm for the over the top British genre, and you get off your chair, say hello, ask me if this is my first time in the store, I would reply yes, ask me about my interest in British stuff, at which time I mention my UK origins, my youth in the 1970s when my aunts would send me UK sweets and comics in the mail, and you then offer a tour of the small store. I then purchase what I originally wanted, and then also purchase three other items I hadn't intended, all of which you put in a London Calling branded bag and in goes an insert with the website and a call to action. Then I go home and post on Urban Toronto that anyone who liked British themed/origin products should go to London Calling. THIS is what I wanted to report back.....

Whomever owns this shop need only walk two or three storefronts down to Kendall and Company to see how an independent storefront retailer should act https://www.facebook.com/kendallandcodesign

That's terrible, close to where I live a great example of a very well run independent French store / cafe: http://www.doucefrance.ca/ My only explanation is maybe that wasn't the owner, but still ..

Shopped today at London Calling, the new UK themed shop on Carlton St. west of Parliament. I have to say I was disappointed with the employee and overall the experience. I'm a British born Canuck and you could tell when I walked in that I was a raving fan of all things British. However the staffer couldn't have cared less, didn't make eye contact, didn't get off his chair and just gave an unenthusiastic hello to my greeting. While I looked around with obvious interest, the staffer just watched his laptop or tablet. When I made my purchase the staffer again couldn't care less AFAICT, just bagged my purchase in a generic bag, without any insert to introduce the store or present call to action (i.e. go to my website, suggest new products, etc). Folks if you want to run a store front biz you've got to emotionally connect with your customers, especially those who share your enthusiasm for what you're offering. Here's how it should have gone down today. I walk in, showing obvious enthusiasm for the over the top British genre, and you get off your chair, say hello, ask me if this is my first time in the store, I would reply yes, ask me about my interest in British stuff, at which time I mention my UK origins, my youth in the 1970s when my aunts would send me UK sweets and comics in the mail, and you then offer a tour of the small store. I then purchase what I originally wanted, and then also purchase three other items I hadn't intended, all of which you put in a London Calling branded bag and in goes an insert with the website and a call to action. Then I go home and post on Urban Toronto that anyone who liked British themed/origin products should go to London Calling. THIS is what I wanted to report back..... Whomever owns this shop need only walk two or three storefronts down to Kendall and Company to see how an independent storefront retailer should act https://www.facebook.com/kendallandcodesign
Agreed. It's the most terrible and lazy British Isles shop I've ever been to. He seems to think that throwing the Union flag on anything and everything will make him rich. There are far better shops, like Empire in Riverside, that at least try to capture things about British culture beyond the flag (which to be honest isn't even that important to Brits).

Jason, I agree with you that there are much more interesting goods that reflect British culture. But to be fair, the Union Jack is a iconic design, and perhaps the owner thought he'd get sales from people with no British heritage. People who are willing to pay extra for M&S tea bags constitute a niche market, and maybe Union Jack items sell well to a broader spectrum of customers. Just speculating.

It is a shame that AB had such a bad customer-service experience. Even if it wasn't the owner, it reflects badly on the store. I'd never heard of London Calling until this thread, but a quick look at its Facebook page shows a small business trying to make a real go of it. Too bad such efforts are being undermined by sales staff.

I think it'll be a here today gone tomorrow style shop.
That's too bad.

I'm not sure what would be best for that storefront. Surely we have enough eateries, coffee shops and convenience stores.

On a separate note, I was walking by Wing Machine and thought it looked very sad on the inside. Tables with old men sitting alone with their beer. Maybe we need a Legion in the area?

I'm a British born Canuck and you could tell when I walked in that I was a raving fan of all things British. However the staffer couldn't have cared less, didn't make eye contact, didn't get off his chair and just gave an unenthusiastic hello to my greeting. While I looked around with obvious interest, the staffer just watched his laptop or tablet. When I made my purchase the staffer again couldn't care less AFAICT, just bagged my purchase in a generic bag, without any insert to introduce the store or present call to action (i.e. go to my website, suggest new products, etc).
Not sure the concern. That sound's JUST like shopping in most stores in England to me ... sounds like they nailed it. Your post has excited me - I must go check this out!

I walk in, showing obvious enthusiasm for the over the top British genre, and you get off your chair, say hello, ask me if this is my first time in the store, I would reply yes, ask me about my interest in British stuff
Yeah, that's what I want when I go shopping - to be interrogated by the shopkeeper ... not.

I'm not overly fond of shopkeepers who won't let me browse in quiet, and don't get me started on what I think about store greeters. But I think we can agree, regardless of differing views on how much interaction we want with our local merchants, that the indifferent and seemingly sullen clerk encountered by AB was not great.

Haven't been to London Calling yet.

I suspect they'll have a tough time. The "Keep Calm and Carry On" trend ran its course some time ago. When it comes to gifts, Labour of Love is phenomenal, with such great diversity of product and also tip-top service. Like Admiral Beez I'm a total Anglophile (Ben Sherman, Dr Who, the Clash, cask ale, BBC...) but I have no plans to drop into this place.

For staples like UK chocs, Berocca and McVitie's biscuits I go to the UK Tuck Shop, which is right around the corner between Jet Fuel and Tim Hortons, south of Winchester. I'm told Wal-Mart even stocks UK products now. I'm not sure how a chi-chi gift shop like London Calling can make a go of selling UK goods given their size, rent, and cost base.

In other news, I had a cask ale at the House on Parliament this week just after they put it on. Usually they chill the ale down so much it loses its flavor, but this pint was nice and warm! I wish they served warm ale all the time. Took me back to the Drapers Arms, on Barnsbury St in N1...!

Lastly, the intersection of Carlton/Parliament has seen several quick eats shops close lately (Gingers, the sushio place) . I wonder, where does Cabbagetown go for quick & good takeout meals? I like Sukkothai on Parliament St, Rashnaa on Wellseley, and Mergatroid for sandwiches on Parliament.

Too often I find myself at Pizza Pizza at Parliament & Prospect. I find F'Amelia's pizzas too expensive for takeaway (about $20 each, so for a family meal it's $40+tax)...I used to live in the UK, beside a proper Italian family shop that had better pizzas for GBP5 (about C$8-9). I tried Peter's Cajun for pizza once and was pleasantly surprised for $25.

I miss my Waitrose "2 can dine for GBP10" deals. 1 bottle of wine, 2 mains, then 1 starter or dessert. Can't be bothered to schlep all the way over to the MLG Loblaws though.

Haven't been to London Calling yet. Like Admiral Beez I'm a total Anglophile (Ben Sherman, Dr Who, the Clash, cask ale, BBC...) but I have no plans to drop into this place.

For me and my Anglo goods, it has to be meaningful, not kitsch. I ride a 1969 Triumph motorcycle, and shave with a 1953 Made in England Gillette Rocket twist to open and D.R. Harris Windsor aftershave http://www.drharris.co.uk/windsor

As for British-esque food, I buy my (made in Canada?) Marmite at No Frills. HP Sauce is made in Canada or Belgium now, so no Royal Warrant anymore. I still have my Fullers London Pride at HOP.

Back