News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Varcoe: Amazon to set up cloud computing hub in Calgary, creating more than 900 jobs and $4B investment​

That’s a real good news storey for Calgary. What makes it special IMO is not necessarily the scale, but the fact that Amazon is very high profile. Having a company with such a high profile can only make Calgary look more attractive to other companies.

Another business accelerator opening up in Calgary with help from OCIF. The big win is that they will invest in 80 startups in Calgary every year. A huge boost to the ecosystem.

The irony though. The same individual who has supported the expansion of new greenfield communities against the recommendation of the planning committee declares a climate emergency. I guess everyone just walks and teleports in these new far fringe communities. Urban sprawl is one of the biggest contributors to greenhouse gas emissions for a city. Just political pandering IMO.

The irony though. The same individual who has supported the expansion of new greenfield communities against the recommendation of the planning committee declares a climate emergency. I guess everyone just walks and teleports in these new far fringe communities. Urban sprawl is one of the biggest contributors to greenhouse gas emissions for a city. Just political pandering IMO.
She supported the first round from 2014 I think? but voted against in the next round. Only Farrell and Nenshi voted against in the first round. I think this whole climate change thing that Gondek is going after is less about fighting climate change, and more of an image thing. She and the city can only do so much to actually fight climate change, but this can have a big impact on the city's image.

She supported the first round from 2014 I think? but voted against in the next round. Only Farrell and Nenshi voted against in the first round. I think this whole climate change thing that Gondek is going after is less about fighting climate change, and more of an image thing. She and the city can only do so much to actually fight climate change, but this can have a big impact on the city's image.
She voted for in 2018. Practically every councilor voted against more greenfields in the most recent round. But, the part that gets to me the most is not even the fact they approved some new communities but instead the council set up a second session that year to vote for the extra communities on top of the 8 or so presented initially. All in the backdrop of the planning committee recommending 0 new communities. The committee did cite climate change as one of the reasons for recommending against it, alongside other factors such as market demand and property taxes. It's about practicing what you preach at the end of the day.

Back