News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Call me naive but who are these people that can just move anywhere? This guy moved from Toronto to Barrie to Calgary. The article suggest choosing Edmonton and Winnipeg over Calgary. Is the cost of living that bad in Barrie that you're willing to move your whole life to Winnipeg?
Given that the bulk of the people moving are between age 25 and 35, it would be mostly made up of young singles and young couples, as well as some young couples with kids, thrown in there, but the common denominator is likely that most of them are young and maybe not tied into a career and are probably renting so it’s easy for them to move.

As far as moving to Edmonton or Winnipeg, those places certainly are cheaper, but cheaper places don’t automatically mean people will move there. There are places all over Canada for cheaper than Winnipeg for example but you need to have a mixture of career/wage opportunities and cost of living.
Edmonton to some degree fits that bill but I’m not sure about Winnipeg or some of the other smaller cities that are less expensive, like Regina for Thunder Bay example.
Yeah, they might be cheaper but one needs to look at the whole picture.
One nice thing about Calgary is it’s in what I call the sweet spot, it’s a big city with some good amenities and good wages and career opportunities as well as being somewhat reasonably priced. On top of that, you have an amenity like the Rocky Mountains, which on the recreational side is enough to attract a fair amount of people.
Less expensive cities lake Winnipeg and Edmonton don’t have that.Less expensive cities like Winnipeg and Edmonton don’t have that

The whole province hasn't taken in that many in yet. Four weeks ago there were approximately 21,660 Ukrainian evacuees in Alberta.
If Calgary takes in 10,000 Ukrainians, I could see it adding 50K like last year.

The whole province hasn't taken in that many in yet. Four weeks ago there were approximately 21,660 Ukrainian evacuees in Alberta.
He’s talking total growth, not just Ukrainians. What they’re saying is regular growth Will be bolstered by the approx 10,000 Ukrainians who have moved to the city.

As such, I’ll go in with the 45k crowd.

Back