News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I never looked deeply into the methodology they were using, but I can agree it has its flaws. I'm thinking of San Francisco (which scored higher than Calgary) or Manhattan (which was similar to Calgary) for example, there are lots of roads that are categorized as low stress due to the 25 mph limit, but they aren't low stress to ride on in real life. Riding on a side street in Mount Pleasant isn't the same as a street in Manhattan. Also good point by AJY about the pathways. They should be in an even lower stress category to themselves.
At any rate, I think Calgary deserves at least some kudos, due to the extensive pathway system.

Maybe we're looking at two different things, but on their website it shows Macleod Trail/Ring Road intersection as high stress. I see Country Hills town centre as a mix of high and low stress, but the Bow River pathway as low stress.
This is where I'm looking https://bna.peopleforbikes.org/#/places/4f374ae8-09cf-4f81-aa1e-902cc879da7d/

I agree the methodology isn't perfect, I would have three categories: Low stress for dedicated pathways or protected cycle lanes, medium stress for roads at 40km/h and high stress for those above that. Cities with boatloads of dedicate pathways like Calgary would do even better.
If you click the layers tab on your link, you can see the 'Census Blocks With Access' layer, which is the map I saw with this link: https://cityratings.peopleforbikes.org/cities/calgary-ab

You can also look with different layers at the detail going into the calculations, and it's just really not good all the way down. The destinations -- the 'colleges' they measure access to don't include the University of Calgary, but do include both the Alberta Bible College and the MC College (a hair and makeup school). The links - they track four types of bike infrastructure, but they aren't consistent with them; cycle tracks are sometimes Off-Street Paths and sometimes Protected Lanes. There are entirely imaginary cycle facilities there, like an Off-Street Path in the alleys south of 17th Ave, and another one in the back lane north of 10th Ave. Meanwhile, the cycle lanes on 14th/15th -- not great, but definitely Conventional Lanes like 26th Ave or 11 St between 12th Ave and the Bow -- aren't included, and this is March 2022 updated information.

It's not that the methodology is imperfect; it's fundamentally using incorrect inputs; no matter how good the methodology, you can't produce correct results. This is like a bunch of 'big data' approaches, which rather than doing the hard work of correct analysis, just dump in a bunch of free whatever and allow you to draw incorrect conclusions about dozens of worldwide cities at the same time. I have no faith that Calgary is the unique case they made a bunch of mistakes with, but that every other city is correct. The worst city they score in Canada is Victoria, which is also the clear leader in cycle commuting. (As of the 2016 Census Victoria has more cycle commuters than Calgary, despite being 1/4 our size.)

On the methodology side, I agree with you -- the two levels of stress isn't sufficient to really describe what's out there, and that's a big problem. There's actually a key piece of the literature based on a study in Calgary - a survey of cyclists produced roughly this distribution of values of time for riding on different types of facilities:

1665611022504.png

This suggests several levels of facility, not far off your ideas; low-stress are protected facilities (probably including cycle tracks, which this study predates); medium stress are lower-speed, lower-volume residential roads and perhaps busier roads with painted lanes; high stress are above 40 km/h roads, and the other missing category - inaccessible including at least all freeways, and plausibly multi-lane roadways with speed limits over 70 km/h.

The glacier path between Edworthy and Crowchild has closed for the season already. The glacier is in it's early stages, can still ride with normal bike tires, but it will be time to switch to studs soon. Hopefully it's not very busy this winter!
The City likely needs to elevate that section or pathway

a long time ago in this thread or another someone posted about a US mid-west city that had a steel boardwalk go out over the river. That's the answer here, except it's probably not necessary to go out over the river along this stretch, just above the ice. Would also help the track crossing issue. Does the city want to pay for that?

As cool as these ideas might be I think are far better ways to direct any funds available for pathway infrastructure.

It's a nice stretch of path in the summer, but it's always going to suck in the winter with that amount of shade. It would be interesting to know how long the delay is between the rest of the path becoming clear and the glacier becoming passable...6 weeks?

This might be slightly crazy and goes against my first sentence, but could they install something like via ferrata? A few strong posts with cables running the length so you'd kinda have handrails? Probably opens up more liability than just slapping up a path closed sign.

Probably the best thing to do cost-benefit wise would be to build a bridge by 32 ST NW (nearby the gas station/cafe on Parkdale BV) to connecting the north and south banks of the Bow. Therefore access to Lawrey Gardens from Edworthy is possible during the winters, and provides a crossing where there is currently a large gap.

Back