Went and saw a movie at the new Cineplex VIP theatres tonight. It was a great experience, especially given the frigid temperature and the fact there is heated, underground parking and the first 3 hours are free. It appears the second level is also going to be home to a Real Canadian Brewhouse and a bowling alley.

I'm definitely no expert in design or architecture but seeing the building in person made me wonder if building essentially a carbon copy across from the proposed Event Centre (assuming it finally gets off ground) wouldn't be a great way to cement the concept of an entertainment district? Ground level CRUs that are home to restaurants, bars and grab & go's and the second level occupied by VIP style theatres that can attract people before/after major events at the Event Centre/BMO and can also be rented out for lecture style events as part of conventions being hosted at BMO.

Both sites appear to be about 100 feet wide and even if the Olympic Way slight is slightly narrower, that could be compensated for by having the second level that is home to the theatre overhang the street slightly.

Thoughts?

Screenshot_20211227-011155_Maps~2.jpg

Screenshot_20211227-011303_Maps.jpg

I was also around University district yesterday and really took notice about the underground heated parking - there is also plenty of bike storage down there. Comparing the master plan with Greenwich I have to say that UD did it right by making sure there will be no surface parking lots. I’m very excited to see the overall project once completed.
Also the heated parking stretches from saveOnfoods all the way to what one day will be Staples.

D46E8304-19D7-4ADB-BD78-835EC3552D65.jpeg
2DE49990-20D6-4B5F-8BE2-F2D00F195194.jpeg
A97ABD27-9945-4482-8790-4ECB53D2B0BE.jpeg
33F21454-DFA7-45DB-9728-B73733952762.jpeg

Went and saw a movie at the new Cineplex VIP theatres tonight. It was a great experience, especially given the frigid temperature and the fact there is heated, underground parking and the first 3 hours are free. It appears the second level is also going to be home to a Real Canadian Brewhouse and a bowling alley.

I'm definitely no expert in design or architecture but seeing the building in person made me wonder if building essentially a carbon copy across from the proposed Event Centre (assuming it finally gets off ground) wouldn't be a great way to cement the concept of an entertainment district? Ground level CRUs that are home to restaurants, bars and grab & go's and the second level occupied by VIP style theatres that can attract people before/after major events at the Event Centre/BMO and can also be rented out for lecture style events as part of conventions being hosted at BMO.

Both sites appear to be about 100 feet wide and even if the Olympic Way slight is slightly narrower, that could be compensated for by having the second level that is home to the theatre overhang the street slightly.

Thoughts?

View attachment 371698

View attachment 371699

ya, for sure, even if not for this specific lot. cinema, rec room type place, bowling. anything really. prob better suited to a podium but thats another kettle of fish.

if theres no event center in our future id prefer it to be in a less out of the way place, something like the big vacant property on the corner of 1st and 17th sw.

It's really cool to see the beginnings of a main street here where there was nothing before. Yes, it's mostly chains for now, but as things organically develop, and more people are added to the neighbourhood (and the university gets in-person classes rolling again without disruptions from covid), I'm sure it'll diversify. Now... hopefully that Alt hotel can be finished

Back