No experienced retailer/restauranteur would ever be interested in the blank wall location. No parking (unless you pay $17.00 and are willing to fight event traffic).
not to mention its literally a connecting corridor from the existing halls to the convention centre....but we've been down this retail/commercial rabbit hole too many times, so i degress

maybe they can make the blank wall a mural and in front of it like a basket ball court near the library. Im sure you can make any use into something creative

Are the panels warping or just oil canning? The latter is to be expected in a city with around 100 degree temperature swings for sun exposed surfaces.
That would be it. It’s just disappointing that they didn’t go with a material more hardened to our climate.

Maybe I'm wrong but the issue seems to be that there's no champion for a McMahon and/or Grandstand replacement. It is one thing for us to talk about but the city, CSEC, and the Stampede don't really seem to be making any noise about it. There's little things here and there in the Foothills Athletic Park thing about modernizing McMahon but it seems half hearted.
We might have a champion, if I can email him and get him to pivot to talking to the City and Stampede about our Grandstand idea:

That would be it. It’s just disappointing that they didn’t go with a material more hardened to our climate.
The problem with our climate is that we have such high temperature swings, it's hard to design a product that won't deform slightly. The best manufacturers can do is try to account for it with expansion joints, but contractors also need to be trained how to install it correctly to account for this.

We might have a champion, if I can email him and get him to pivot to talking to the City and Stampede about our Grandstand idea:
We won't get a new football stadium, probably ever. McMahon could be completely gutted and rebuilt into a pretty decent stadium, the bones are there and the location is a winner (shared with UofC). The Grandstand would also benefit from a major renovation, but I couldn't see much money going to it considering it only hosts a handful of events outside of Stampede.

We won't get a new football stadium, probably ever. McMahon could be completely gutted and rebuilt into a pretty decent stadium, the bones are there and the location is a winner (shared with UofC). The Grandstand would also benefit from a major renovation, but I couldn't see much money going to it considering it only hosts a handful of events outside of Stampede.
The fact commonwealth exist probably also hurts the business case. Most concerts and large events are there now. If McMahon is rebuilt, it wont be able to get all that traffic anyways.

The fact commonwealth exist probably also hurts the business case. Most concerts and large events are there now. If McMahon is rebuilt, it wont be able to get all that traffic anyways.
I'm not sure there is even much of an outdoor stadium concert scene these days. I'm trying to remember how many outdoor concerts there have been at Commonwealth in recent years.

For McMahon to be properly rebuilt they need to dig down so the field is below grade. That way the concourse can be at grade at the top of the lower stands and the sound from the field is directed up instead of toward nearby homes/businesses.

Renos at McMahon would strip it down and work with what's there, lowering the field is likely a non starter. If they completely surround the field with stands, that should help some of the noise issues, but the only true solution is a roof, and that's also likely a non-starter. Anyway, lets move this to a different thread is people want to discuss...

The city of Calgary’s population is slightly more than Edmonton. They need to have a large stadium like NFL or Commonwealth sized which may be unnecessary. but more musicians are starting to do all stadium tours like Metallica and Taylor Swift and plus you shouldn’t have just a CFL stadium you should make a world class stadium suitable for everything with a 50k-85k capacity convertible indoor and outdoor stadium and built at its current location or by the airport

LOL most major American and European cities don't have 85,000 seat stadiums. I agree that Calgary desperately needs a new stadium, but the trend is towards smaller capacity stadiums with more flexible seating styles. Calgary would best be served by a 30-35,000 stadium at the most. I don't think we can afford a retractable roof stadium, so I would settle for an open air stadium with a partial roof. It would be sweet if they built it where the bus barns are next to the new arena and truly make it the sporting hub of the city.

The city of Calgary’s population is slightly more than Edmonton. They need to have a large stadium like NFL or Commonwealth sized which may be unnecessary. but more musicians are starting to do all stadium tours like Metallica and Taylor Swift and plus you shouldn’t have just a CFL stadium you should make a world class stadium suitable for everything with a 50k-85k capacity convertible indoor and outdoor stadium and built at its current location or by the airport
There are few very cities, let alone events that support that size of a stadium. I mean look at BMO field in Toronto, less than a decade old, for a major metro area (4x Calgary) and it only seats about 30K without additional temporary sections.

Back