Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 88 64.7%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
I think the Opera House plans were completed and it actually went to tender a few years ago.
Starting over on a new site now I guess.

I remember when the new Opera House was originally planned to go on the northwest corner of 4th Ave and 8th Street SW.... what a gateway to downtown that would have been!

Yeah, it would have housed a smaller 400-seat performance space but the main performance space would have remained at the Jubilee. It sounded like the new opera house was more for admin, rehearsals and prep.

Rendering of the previous design, which funny enough reminds me of the old design of the arena 😅

calgary-opera-community-arts-centre.jpg

Source

That's the Stampede Opera Centre, not the one they're talking about (4 Ave and 8 Street SW). The Stampede Opera Centre was fully designed and officially proposed. I imagine it will still be built, just not in its originally proposed location of course as the arena will be going there.

Tempe citizens voted to reject the arena deal there, looks like the Coyotes will have to relocate finally. I look forward to watching the Houston Coyotes!
Or they get put to sale at a price that the headlease holders of Footprint Center can't refuse, including lower bowl renovations to balance between basketball and hockey (maybe using Toronto as an example of how to work it out).

Last edited:
Or they get put to sale at a price that the headlease holders of Footprint Center can't refuse, including lower bowl renovations to balance between basketball and hockey (maybe using Toronto as an example of how to work it out).
Isn't that building weird for hockey? That's why they left originally? Not as bad as Barclays in Brooklyn was, but was originally designed for basketball not hockey.

Back