Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 94 66.2%
  • No

Votes: 38 26.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 10 7.0%

• Total voters
I was able to see some renders the other day, and was pleasantly surprised. It's all incredibly top secret so there not much I can share, other than it's a significant upgrade over the previous design IMO. The extra cost is going towards a considerably better design (debatable as to whether it's a $300 million better design but it is what it is). It's going to be one of the very best arenas in the league.
I think a good chunk of that money would be on the sheer size being bigger, the hole deeper, the additional ice rink, improvements inside....but alas everyone's expectation would still be on a much less "sterile" design.

For me, the most important exterior features...
- give me some glass, limestone, modern brick....none of that faux aluminum projection bullshit. Is it stampitecture, yes kinda, but its welcoming and timeless if done right with landscaping and lighting
- a functional and welcoming interior plaza
- commercial opportunities on 4th AND 12th
- enhancement of a 12ave entrance given the green line and future development

I genuinely do not care about the east frontage, make it tasteful but please champion the west and north faces. Dont try and make a parkade and loading dock look good. The south will be fine with the plaza and practice facility

The name is lame. I would have preferred a local company secure the naming rights. Westjet Centre? CPKC Place? Big Rock Arena? If no local companies or at least companies with a significant local presence, I'd take a company with a cooler profile along the lines of Marvel Stadium in Melbourne. Naming rights in Canada are overly dominated by banks and telecom companies.

One thing I’m hoping for is that the Stampede office moves into the Place and that area south of the Place and be used as a large place for stuff to do outside of the Place.
I would imagine, if i'm a betting man....in the area of stampede office/saddledome, we will see a street facing commercial development containing a large parking garage in the back. Like atlanta below....Designers have become creative on how to "hide" an otherwise ugly parking deck. The view from lookout hill wont be as nice tho lol

untitled-1-recovered_03575.png

The name is lame. I would have preferred a local company secure the naming rights. Westjet Centre? CPKC Place? Big Rock Arena? If no local companies or at least companies with a significant local presence, I'd take a company with a cooler profile along the lines of Marvel Stadium in Melbourne. Naming rights in Canada are overly dominated by banks and telecom companies.
you're not wrong, but that's the nature of the beast. Often a "local" feeling company can't afford it

The naming rights probably weren't up for grabs since it's part of the existing Scotiabank deal. It's really odd Scotiabank sponsors all these space but can't be bothered change their signs at Brookfield or at the Saddledome to their new logo.

The naming rights probably weren't up for grabs since it's part of the existing Scotiabank deal. It's really odd Scotiabank sponsors all these space but can't be bothered change their signs at Brookfield or at the Saddledome to their new logo.
im shocked they're allowing the shortened version, that's usually a major marketing/branding faux pax

Scotia probably had the option for the naming rights with the Saddledome deal and took it. The new Event Centre naming rights should be much higher.

Naming rights are cheezy like logos on tower penthouses. There's still some good ones that make you smile.

Back