Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 96 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 38 26.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 10 6.9%

• Total voters
I think the lower portion "ice" elements will be a stone. The upper will probably a white or grey metal panel with the fins also being a perhaps more metallic metal. I like the upper portion is lighter in day light it will make the buildings feel lighter and not a huge dark building (see the Raiders' stadium in Vegas).
Arena_Exterior_4.jpg

was referring to the sandstone material behind the "fire pit" in the official rendering , which the HOK rendering displays as dark grey siding

View attachment 582523
was referring to the sandstone material behind the "fire pit" in the official rendering , which the HOK rendering displays as dark grey siding
Ah yes, good eye. perhaps that HOK rendering missed that, in other images that fire pit is labelled as a public art piece so it isn't official. But if it were the whole fire and water thing sort of ties into the drop in front of the BMO...

Also... in the south plaza do we think the circles and then a square symbolizing tipis and another perhaps log house structure? (Answered in the HOK article: The building’s public plazas are designed to honour the deep-rooted connection that Indigenous Peoples have with the land, incorporating representations of the tipi, Métis Trapper’s Tent, and elements of Alberta’s world-renowned natural landscape.)
1721685778915.png

According to the city site, they haven't committed to that
View attachment 582525

They also have a side profile up with where the bowl sits compared to street level
View attachment 582526
Looking at the side profile, the open end of the bowl looks to be on the parkade side of the arena. The bottom left of the image in the community arena.

Trying to get a sense of scale.... I think this is right

034819ac-709a-495c-8534-198bffef73eb.png

The streetscape surrounding this is more important than the overall look. Glad to see lots of activation to the street, Great pedestrian spaces and street furniture. Very happy to see they haven't forgotten about the 12ave bike lane. Maybe it'll finally connect to the riverwalk formally when this is done. Not sure what they are doing for wheeling facilities on Olympic Ave though, I hope they continue the lanes from north of 12th ave.

Overall I can see why council might have been unanimous on this, It's a good overall vision and opportunity for placemaking, even if it's a bit of a gift. Since my primary use will be biking and walking by, I'm happy if they can leverage this to improve the streetscape.

The real test will be how quickly one can bike along 12th Ave during a game night...

Last edited:
On Global News at noon, they said construction will start this week? But it hasn’t been seen by CPC yet? How can they start construction without the approvals and permits?

Back