Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 96 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 38 26.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 10 6.9%

• Total voters
I like it. But umm...what happens if the The Flames franchise is sold. Are we left with an arena that has a giant flame for a roof that will look odd? Seems like the entire Events Centre is built around the franchise. Will that come back and bite the city in the future? Guess they can always cover it up with ugly spandrel if that happens like all the old brick offices being converted to rentals...
luckily, via a legal document, they cant. Make no mistake though, I guarantee that lighting will change depending on whatever holiday/cultural/DEI thing is happening at the time. It inevitably will be every shade of color you can imagine over the course of a year.

I think SE corner might even have an outdoor rink

Ya, I was trying to figure that out. Is that an outdoor rink or are those basketball courts? Either way, well done with that SE plaza space. Exterior design is kinda meh for a billion bucks but they put the effort into activating the streetscape and public realm and that's all I really wanted to see.

I just had a terrible revelation. The profile looks vaguely like a cowboy hat.

arena_exterior_4-jpg.582508

Some additional renderings from HOK with a better idea of how those flames fins will look

Cauldron_Ground-2048x1170.jpg

Bird's eye view of the plaza space along 13th Ave

Scotia-Place_Tipi-Ring_1900.jpg

Source: https://www.hok.com/news/2024-07/renderings-unveiled-construction-begins-on-calgarys-new-event-centre/#:~:text=“We at DIALOG are thrilled,Cinnamon, partner architect at DIALOG.
lol, im gonna take these 2 renderings with a grain of salt.
a) i do like the fire waves, gives some texture and reflection variance
b) the materials dont match the official renderings...that or within the last hour they've value engineered out the limestone 😂

Some additional renderings from HOK with a better idea of how those flames fins will look

Cauldron_Ground-2048x1170.jpg

Bird's eye view of the plaza space along 13th Ave

Scotia-Place_Tipi-Ring_1900.jpg

Source: https://www.hok.com/news/2024-07/renderings-unveiled-construction-begins-on-calgarys-new-event-centre/#:~:text=“We at DIALOG are thrilled,Cinnamon, partner architect at DIALOG.
Lowkey very smart to put the video board in this plaza, here you can have none arena patrons gather to watch a playoff game without being in your main plaza.

lol, im gonna take these 2 renderings with a grain of salt.
a) i do like the fire waves, gives some texture and reflection variance
b) the materials dont match the official renderings...that or within the last hour they've value engineered out the limestone 😂
I think the lower portion "ice" elements will be a stone. The upper will probably a white or grey metal panel with the fins also being a perhaps more metallic metal. I like that the upper portion is lighter in day light it will make the building feel lighter and not a huge dark building (see the Raiders' stadium in Vegas).

Last edited:

Back