Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 98 67.1%
  • No

Votes: 38 26.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 10 6.8%

• Total voters
Took a look at this diagram from the DMAP download... Noticed some interesting things:
It shows the camera positions, I count 19 different cameras around the top of the lower bowl.
The top three rows are different from the other rows, could be table seating. I cannot tell what's in the rows beside the cameras, any ideas?
There looks to be multiple entrances at different levels under this bowl; there's a upper-bowl entrance in the middle of either side, and there's another couple entrances on the event level (behind and beside the bench, and beside the penalty box). I was wondering why there seemed to be so few concessions on the main concourse, my guess is that's because a lot of the seats are likely "Sponsored Club" seats with access to other food and beverage areas. I do appreciate there is a bit of variety for places to sit or even stand.
1722287322197.png

Those could be press seats or something? Would be odd to take away paid seats when there is likely going to be a media gondola, but I have no idea otherwise...

Took a look at this diagram from the DMAP download... Noticed some interesting things:
It shows the camera positions, I count 19 different cameras around the top of the lower bowl.
The top three rows are different from the other rows, could be table seating. I cannot tell what's in the rows beside the cameras, any ideas?
There looks to be multiple entrances at different levels under this bowl; there's a upper-bowl entrance in the middle of either side, and there's another couple entrances on the event level (behind and beside the bench, and beside the penalty box). I was wondering why there seemed to be so few concessions on the main concourse, my guess is that's because a lot of the seats are likely "Sponsored Club" seats with access to other food and beverage areas. I do appreciate there is a bit of variety for places to sit or even stand.
View attachment 584383
The entrances you see at event level by the benches are for a special club (It was marked as "founders club" on the 2021 plans) Other arenas are starting to be built or renovated to include this club area, like Rogers Place, and in the recent Scotiabank Arena renos. The main concourse will have less concessions than the Saddledome, that is a fact regardless of whether they included restaurants or not. Rogers Place has less concessions over two concourses then the Saddledome has in one and their main concourse is larger than what we'll have here. I suspect that's why they included the food hall instead of another restaurant on the north side, and there appears to be concessions all along the east wall. That along with grab and go concessions along the north and south should help, but I still imagine there will be complaints from a lot of people when the thing opens.
The other entrance at event level by the penalty boxes is supposedly rinkside wheelchair seating, or at least that's what I've heard.

Also you can tell how much of the seating in the lower bowl is club seating by where the club entrances are and how many there are. There has to be an entrance to the club near the seats, so there is only club seating along the north and south sides adjacent to the entrances, which is just 3 seating blocks on either side.

Looks like Rick Tulsie (Saddledome tour guide and event supervisor) is going to be posting regular updates on the construction.
Who doesn’t love Rick?

Seriously though, he’s an amazing person, and the multiple white hat awards he’s gotten have been very deserving. I won’t be shocked if he goes down with the saddledome, because it’s his second home lmao.

The entrances you see at event level by the benches are for a special club (It was marked as "founders club" on the 2021 plans) Other arenas are starting to be built or renovated to include this club area, like Rogers Place, and in the recent Scotiabank Arena renos. The main concourse will have less concessions than the Saddledome, that is a fact regardless of whether they included restaurants or not. Rogers Place has less concessions over two concourses then the Saddledome has in one and their main concourse is larger than what we'll have here. I suspect that's why they included the food hall instead of another restaurant on the north side, and there appears to be concessions all along the east wall. That along with grab and go concessions along the north and south should help, but I still imagine there will be complaints from a lot of people when the thing opens.
The other entrance at event level by the penalty boxes is supposedly rinkside wheelchair seating, or at least that's what I've heard.

Ugh.... this is disappointing news. One of the biggest strengths of the Saddledome is the variety and availability of food options. One of my biggest disappointments with attending a concert at Roger's Place was the long lines and crappy selection for the concessions. This kind of reinforces my biggest fear that the new arena will only be an improvement for the finances of the Flames and for the corporate box crowd. Everyone else will be treated to a far worse experience for far higher prices and will be left feeling nostalgic for the allegedly out of date Saddledome.

Anyone know if there any arenas in the NHL that have windows visible from the bowl? Can’t say I’ve ever noticed in the ones I’ve been in and I don’t recall seeing any in a broadcast from the rest.

Back