Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 94 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 38 27.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.4%

• Total voters
This is the first thing that popped into my head when I seen the rendition of the Centre Videotron.
Marvin-Paranoid-Android-Hitchiker-Guide.jpg

These are just glossed-up renderings to fool the public. These renders don't take away from the fact that we're still getting 3 sides of sterile walls with 0 street activation and a collage of mashed-up materials. The whole Northside is just a big blank wall, unfortunately, it's the same side where the majority of the residential towers for Victoria Park will be. Some Artwork, LED screens, etc. would be 1000X better than just a giant blank wall. What a disgrace. I can't believe there hasn't been a city-wide outrage over this. I guess with elections, Covid restrictions ending, summer, and world affairs, Calgarians are too busy to notice. CSEC is about to get away with the murder of Victoria Park.

Last edited:
wow and it's still as terrible as before. The problem with this, too, is that these renders are somehow the GOOD side of this barfmonster, and are almost certainly showing it in a better light than the completed version.

Terrible. The upper level windows on the west should should continue all the way south and wrap around the south side. I actually don’t mind the look of those windows. The white wall or screen on the SW corner is inexcusable. What the hell is up with that? The north side is just flat out hostile and cheap and the south side is a dogs breakfast of materials. Don’t even want to see the east side. Did they buy the same black metal strips that ASI is using for the Fifth building? Gross.

The traffic engineering shows up well in the first render we have a new right hand turning lane north on Olympic Way cutting into the sidewalk at 12th Ave as well as a new street parking area cut into the 12 Avenue sidewalk. A small, but empathetically car-oriented nod to ensure the 12th and Olympic Way corner is not the attractive one to be at, despite it's eventual plan to be the most urban and likely where the majority of walking traffic will come from.

I’m still waiting for the Flames and the designers to publicly unveil this beast and give us an explanation on what the hell they were thinking.

The entertainment district was always going to hinge on whether the area around the arena develops, having wall to wall retail on all sides of this wouldn't do much if the rest of the area sat empty. I would have liked to see some better activation of the N, S and E sides, but this is still 100x better than what we have currently.

Thanks for sharing. This is an improvement, but still a disappointment overall. As another poster pointed out, if they can switch the metal cladding colour to copper, it would be much nicer. I really hope they have an outdoor terrace on the roof of the podium on the NW corner.

Back