ASI are cheap, probably the next cheapest behind Cidex. I’ll give them credit that they do generally have good street level interaction on their projects, a million times better than Cidex, but their material choice generally sucks. If the materials are good and higher end than this should actually be kind of nice. If they VE this thing than it will fall flat and be a disappointment like many projects in the city at the moment.
What's really funny is how the ASI people were boasting to the Calgary Herald a few years ago about how they were going to turn 17th Ave into Calgary's "Mink Mile". It's been a while since I was in Yorkville, but I don't recall seeing much oil-canned aluminum siding and EIFS along Bloor Street.

This one goes to CPC next week.
Report, Background, DP drawings, Applicant Submission, UDRP Comments, CA Comments

From the DP drawings (and props to the renderer for inserting a Ferrari Enzo into the drawings):
1681484017830.png

1681484047517.png

1681484101743.png

1681484147417.png

1681484176989.png

This is the back end of it, keep in mind:
1681484214428.png

Signage should be below the canopy so as a pedestrian you can read them.

Wouldn't have minded the angled window surrounds on the front too.

The central portion of the upper block should be pulled forward and rounded as well to match the ground level at the entrance.
If the canopy isn't waterproof, there's no point to it. Don't know how finished these drawings are, but if this is any indication on the expected final state, it's not really clear:

1681486978750.png

I really don't get why we don't put real weather proofing up (i.e. an awning that actually blocks rain and sun) or nothing at all because it's pointless to have weird metal grates above doors for no reason. In this case it's on the shady south side of 17th Avenue, so sun sheltering isn't needed at anytime of the year except like 2 hours a day June 19 - 23.

The signs are placeholders, but would be great to see pedestrian-oriented ones as 100% of future retail traffic will be coming from the sidewalk, and not looking directly across from the park.

I forget the real name for this kind of sign, but the ones that stick out over the sidewalk so people can easily see the name of the place when walking up. The nearby comery block bar:

1681487270582.png

I find it interesting the that the designs show the temporary summer patio configuration. Businesses and development have woken up to the usefulness of extra patio space on 17th Avenue to the extent they show up in renderings now. Such a shame the sidewalks weren't permanently widened during the renovations to the street the past decade.

Overall a good development, but still on the basic side for such a prominent area. As it's design is pretty standard stuff, it's really relying on high quality materials to provide any sort of wow factor.

The canopies look like glass over the steel frame.

They suck for pedestrians as they usually have expansion gaps and walking down the street you're just hitting repetitive drip zones. When it's raining, oh well, you'd be wet anyways. Other times, snow sits on top as they're near flat and then begins to melt.

The Kensington on 10th is like this and there's some others around.

Looking at those higher detail renders, I do like this now. However, if it doesn’t end up being brick, as shown, it will be absolutely hideous.

I respectfully disagree about the brick. Brick of any color, gray included is generally timeless. There are plenty of examples of older, elegant buildings that use gray brick, but none using pink stucco. Pink stucco is 100% a dated material.

I respectfully disagree about the brick. Brick of any color, gray included is generally timeless. There are plenty of examples of older, elegant buildings that use gray brick, but none using pink stucco. Pink stucco is 100% a dated material.
Absolutely agree.

Back