I imagine, since there is already steel beams at the 2nd floor, it will be completely steel structure. I’ll do another update Friday or Saturday and we’ll probably know for sure by then.

Interesting choice... Can anyone think of another steel residential building done recently? Seems fairly uncommon here.

The tops of the second floor columns look like they're meant to have more steel attached to them so my guess is full steel but not sure? The Bow and Eight Ave Place were steel construction but I can't think of many recent buildings that were steel. I wonder what prompted the decision?

20231209_135259.jpg

I think it's cost related for steel. I recall someone had looked into it back when the Bow was being constructed.
The Block on 4th is steel frame, only one I can think of
Also this one was steel frame built circa 2005. It was a continuation of a 3 storey building and they added 4 floors of steel frame.

1702225589867.png

Steel construction is generally higher cost. It does save weight and allow for longer spans. Perhaps this building will offer more open floor plans with fewer columns.
Steel also allows much lower labor cost due to the increased speed of construction. More often than not developers have already decided what material they would like, but sometimes we get to do a cost-benefit analysis. There's quite a few variables that drive cost these days.

Wood flooring panels are being delivered and installed today. Is it a common technique to mix wood and steel construction like this?

View attachment 532032
CLT Floor Panels have emerged and increased in popularity a lot in the last 5 years. They can apply a lightweight concrete topping after installation for sound insulation, but it's optional. Typically they're used in "Short Span" applications (residential) but technology is increasing fast.

They are actively being used in Vancouver and Toronto. See Fast + Epp Home Office or Limberlost Place for two well documented examples, or FPInnovations' Research for applications to large-span office tower type buildings.

Anyone also working in the industry should really consider them as they have an extremely quick construction speed (saves $$), and a negative embodied carbon. Plus they look cool.

Back