has anyone been to that alforno cafe down there? looks like the only decent spot in the whole area. surprised there isnt more local dining options.
Other than that one the area is a ghost town for retail. Luckily that one is really good - decent food and coffee or whatever - but as this is a development site - totally gets it's location and connection to the nearby pathway. Lots of outdoor seats and bicycle parking really feels integrated and accepting of it's specific urban context. A great local vibrancy generator example.

Open question for folks - to what extent is development in this area "triggered" by the Peace Bridge and its related pathway developments over the past 10 years? This developments and a few others use the Peace Bridge and pathway connections as part of their marketing and nod to it in designs. Project economics are of course a main driver, regardless of if the area has great public spaces or not. Yet it does seem as the area is a very popular and attractive one - has that gone as far to influence demand for housing in the area and these projects? Curious to some thoughts on this as I don't think there is one right answer.

Open question for folks - to what extent is development in this area "triggered" by the Peace Bridge and its related pathway developments over the past 10 years?
I don't think that has anything to do with recent development. LaCaille was active with their luxury projects i.e Five West in the last 20 years. Then there was long pause in Eau Claire development until Concord Pacific put up Ph 1 of their luxury project. They have yet to move forward with the second building.
Graywood's project looks like it will also be premium/luxury although perhaps not as much as Concord's. They may be trying to get in before Concord Ph 2.
The common theme for all of these developments is 'premium/luxury'. The demographic that buys luxury condos is only so large as Concord Pacific found in their first build (after 3 years of marketing, it was not sold out when the building was completed). Yes, the recent improvements (bridges, pathways) make Eau Claire a more attractive place to live but it is market demand that determines whether new projects come on stream.

has anyone been to that alforno cafe down there? looks like the only decent spot in the whole area. surprised there isnt more local dining options.
Buchanan's is also quite good, a block south of Alforno, and there is also Hutch Cafe a block north.

According to this article, the project is now called First and Park. Marketing is to begin in early fall. I am very curious to see how presales do, I don't think we have had an attempt at pre-selling a concrete highrise since Nude by Battistella back in 2018. I guess Sola on 14th Street, but not really a high rise.

This one is called First & Park now.

Render is of the south facade…

4C98F1A0-A4B3-4EB3-8D67-362BA26974A1.jpeg

Not the best interaction with 2nd Avenue, but I guess with no lane, you have to pick which one you will front the building onto. At least it will be a nice little greenspace, provided the driveway isn't too overpowering. Looks better than the ones we see in the Downtown West area.

Back