Best direction for the Green line at this point?

• Go ahead with the current option of Eau Claire to Lynbrook and phase in extensions.

Votes: 30 63.8%
  • Re-design the whole system

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Cancel it altogether

Votes: 4 8.5%

• Total voters
Then isn't the answer 1 Street? Elevating between between first streets on 11 Ave, turning north through the parking lot at 11 Ave and going over the tracks? 2 Street was fine when going underground but, to me, looks impossible to make work elevated.
The elevation over the CPR (line between the two purple bits on the profile) is similar to what's needed over the spiral ramp.
1725475336066.png

Attachments

• 1725474930791.png
    1725474930791.png
    404.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Elevated is best idea, but they spent money on relocating utilities .
Be careful of the sunk cost fallacy. Also, this highlights the poor procurement strategy the City implemented. Spent a lot of money "preparing for the project" before they even confirmed if they could actually do the project or not.

I’m completely fine with elevated. Would look pretty awesome in my opinion. I love tunnels, but either way, being grade separated in the core is paramount. Elevated from the Centre Street Bridge to Highfield would be mint. That’s gotta cut at least a billion off the cost eh?

I’m completely fine with elevated. Would look pretty awesome in my opinion. I love tunnels, but either way, being grade separated in the core is paramount. Elevated from the Centre Street Bridge to Highfield would be mint. That’s gotta cut at least a billion off the cost eh?
Might be in the wheel house, but where it really helps is in soft (may be using that word wrong in this context) costs, by reducing the demanded risk premium.

I mean at this point the best we can hope for is a Nenshi government in 2027 that’s willing to fund the green line. Frankly, the stub proposal being shelved might be a good option for now.

It just shocks me how we can’t build a simple train line. The provincial government is perfectly fine throwing hundreds of millions of dollars to improve one highway interchange, but can’t fund a massive transit expansion? God this place is backwards sometimes…
This outcome shocks you? The cost and length of the current proposal wasn’t your first clue?

Will likely add a billion for cancelling procurement, new detailed engineering, and delays.

Half-baked idea: what about a pedestrian tunnel (with people movers) linking 4 St SE Station/ "Grand Central Station" with the municipal building (ie. 7 Ave and 8 Ave roughed in station)?

Accepting for a moment the Grand Central Station fantasy and that a 7th Ave connection would be beneficial. But also think about the 8th Ave subway in the long-term...was there actually going to be a good link between that and the Green Line? Would it make sense to have an 8th Ave underground station as early as 2nd St? I feel like you'd want just one underground station around 4th/5th St, and maybe one more after it's turned north at 9 Street.

The overall idea here being that you don't necessarily need the green line to cross the tracks at all... maybe it goes on to serve more of the beltline...

I mean at this point the best we can hope for is a Nenshi government in 2027 that’s willing to fund the green line. Frankly, the stub proposal being shelved might be a good option for now.

It just shocks me how we can’t build a simple train line. The provincial government is perfectly fine throwing hundreds of millions of dollars to improve one highway interchange, but can’t fund a massive transit expansion? God this place is backwards sometimes…
The difference is that the highway interchange can be delivered on-time and on-budget with measurable benefits. The Green Line plans have been shambolic since 2015.

The difference is that the highway interchange can be delivered on-time and on-budget with measurable benefits. The Green Line plans have been shambolic since 2015.
Hey cost overruns and on-time/on-budget issues are spread all over:

2017: Cochrane interchange estimated at $40 - 50M: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/cochrane-interchange-province-alberta-intersection-1.4060710

2024: Cochrane interchange estimated at $95M: https://cochranenow.com/articles/1a22-project-hits-milestone

Back