Best direction for the Green line at this point?

• Go ahead with the current option of Eau Claire to Lynbrook and phase in extensions.

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • Re-design the whole system

Votes: 19 31.7%
  • Cancel it altogether

Votes: 5 8.3%

• Total voters
Careful with this though. Who here honestly thinks the 8th Ave subway is ever going to happen. It's really just been a carrot on a stick.
As you alluded in your prior post, there's nothing wrong with trying to future proof infrastructure.

Few could have foreseen the impact of something like Covid on the CRE market, but given time there will be enough growth for red and blue lines to need their separate ROWs.

Too bad the planers of the day didn't have something in place for green line, but as I understand it, the SE growth wasn't really anticipated back then either.

Pity your ignorance does not extend further: still boys will be boys!
the point I'm illustrate is that of course no one wants "all out" conflict, but historically, historical changes have come out of war. the fundamental question is: will Marlaina Smith be effective as a boss as Nenshi was? And she will be, even more so but until she is, it's gonna be hard to verify that she'll be more effective.

the point I'm illustrate is that of course no one wants "all out" conflict, but historically, historical changes have come out of war. the fundamental question is: will Marlaina Smith be effective as a boss as Nenshi was? And she will be, even more so but until she is, it's gonna be hard to verify that she'll be more effective.
Robot speak!

And the virus spreads... :oops:

And the virus spreads...
You're very observant: the sacred and the propane.

Certain incidents have expired.
We're at a precipice of an enormous crossroads. what with the cancelling of the green line and all that entrails.

The GreenLine is an albacore around Calgary's neck. It's a stagmire. There is a little dysentery in the ranks of the UCP. For reasons which I will discern in the future.

Very allegorical.

I’ve read through the past dozen pages and varying news articles, but haven’t been able to clarify if the UCP when they say above ground do they mean at grade or elevated?

As you alluded in your prior post, there's nothing wrong with trying to future proof infrastructure.

Few could have foreseen the impact of something like Covid on the CRE market, but given time there will be enough growth for red and blue lines to need their separate ROWs.

Too bad the planers of the day didn't have something in place for green line, but as I understand it, the SE growth wasn't really anticipated back then either.
CV 19 was a red-herring (exploited by most industries) and used to promote false flags.
I was aware of the south-east communities' proposals back in the late 1990's and worked on the construction of the schools project.
Various LRT routes were mooted with likely routes around about 2000.
I’ve read through the past dozen pages and varying news articles, but haven’t been able to clarify if the UCP when they say above ground do they mean at grade or elevated?
Easier to keep quiet about it until they do their cost modeling: key factors - foundation types, depths, piling, superstructure and sizing, escalator requirements etc. Then they will compare costs and make relative decisions. How bitter will the onion taste be? Puts the black, grey and gold lines in perspective.

Just wanted to repost this paragraph by @Ramsayite because it is the absolute truth. We are chucking out decade of city planning work and replacing it with a half-assed plan drawn up in the span of 3 months that reflect the musings of a provincial government that is just thinking about the project for the first time. How anyone can think this is how business should be done is insane to me.

I think the average person has no idea how much work has gone into this right-of-way; how many ARPs, TOD sites, road alignments, streetscape upgrades, bike paths, public amenities, utility upgrades etc are hinged upon it and have been designed alongside. The risk of invalidating all of this associated work needs to be considered as part of the package of opportunity costs here. We are at serious risk of butchering a ton of associated planning work.

Just wanted to repost this paragraph by @Ramsayite because it is the absolute truth. We are chucking out decade of city planning work and replacing it with a half-assed plan drawn up in the span of 3 months that reflect the musings of a provincial government that is just thinking about the project for the first time. How anyone can think this is how business should be done is insane to me.

I think the average person has no idea how much work has gone into this right-of-way; how many ARPs, TOD sites, road alignments, streetscape upgrades, bike paths, public amenities, utility upgrades etc are hinged upon it and have been designed alongside. The risk of invalidating all of this associated work needs to be considered as part of the package of opportunity costs here. We are at serious risk of butchering a ton of associated planning work.
You are correct. A megaproject involves a great deal of brain power, lateral thinking, blood, sweat and tears. The principal problems manifest with who should be the client, their instructions and desires, consultants, contractors and partnering groups, specific restrictions, geotechnical, surveys, definite no-no's, financial limitations, financing requirements and the contract agreement. Those alone stress the team. It is easy to give a C$ rate per lineal metre of track for a fully all-inclusive project but what does that unit rate cover in terms of basic construction, planning, resourcing, permitting, shareholders etc. Equally, will it be seen as a cash cow or a white elephant for the next administration and the one after that. This is what Ramseyite is referencing with regard to the volume of work that will be wasted. Smith's new Consultant(s) will be in the same boat and cometh the day when they make their findings always remember that you cannot make honey out of shit!

Back