-exactly as much catchment potential

-shortest distance
-lowest cost
-fewest conflicts
-least barrier to neighbourhood
-better serves the East Village
-the only chance of connecting LRT to eventual HSR or regional rail
-exactly as much catchment potential

Wouldn't the catchment be better at 12th though? you're a little closer to all those tall towers along Macleod and the future projects on those empty parking lots. More tied into the Beltline.

Good point about East Village. I didn't even think of EV in the equation. On the other hand East Village would be cut off by the train tracks either way no?

I'm late in the game for this suggestion, but what about the LRT going down 12th as far as 4th street instead of 2nd street? A station could be at Central Memorial Park

@AJX I understand why those who live in the Beltline would want better c-train service, but locating a station at 1st st and 12th Ave SW does not achieve this. For everyone living west of 4th St, the nearest c-train would still be downtown, and for everyone living south of 14th Ave, the nearest c-train would still be Victoria Park. Those living north or 14th and east of 4th can easily walk to green line stations at either alignment.

Aligning the Green Line on 4th St might have been nice, but this is not on the table. Perhaps in 50 years we can consider a subway relief line through the Beltline.

A station at 4th St SE could have easy access to the East Village, and in the long run there is plenty of potential for high density residential and office development as well as regional rail service nearby.

It's also important to consider who we want to use this line the most. Moving the line to 12th instead of 10th adds a few minutes delay to overall travel time, and serves an area that already walks/bikes more than average. Yes, the Beltline deserves great transit, but connecting the deep SE is nearly an existential problem for the future of our city. The Beltline might have to settle for "good enough" - they are still getting better service, they are still gaining a ton of development potential, and in this case the "better" option for them is only slightly so at a huge cost.

@AJX, I agree with RyLucky. While a station at 12th is closer into the Beltline, the LRT still is by and large a form of commuter transit, and most people in the Beltline would walk or bike to downtown, and would not use the train much to get out out of the core. I like your idea of having the line run down 4th SW instead of 2nd and if that was an option I would probably prefer 12th, but yeah, that option isn't available. As far as the train tracks blocking the LRT from EV goes, an entrance way to the station can still be in EV and go under the tracks (I think).

Fair enough, good points made. I would be living right be the station if it was built on 12th so my reasons are maybe a bit selfish ;). By the time it's built I could be living somewhere else....maybe even along 10th! Just out of curiosity, was 4th street SW ever considered as an option?

Thanks! I suppose once the east side of the Beltline (Vic Park) gets built out more, 2nd st will feel a little more central and more tied in.
If 4th street SE station is above ground will they use an overpass to connect to EV?

I think you're right about most of the development potential being in the east. It's not entirely clear what a 10th ave/4th St SE station would look like, but most likely it would be at grade or above grade (4th st se goes below grade there). I'm not sure whether it will be possible or necessary to move the line slightly north into the CPR lands in order to allow more separation from 4th st. It may partly depend on (a) specs of the Elbow River crossing and (b) specs&location of the subgrade-to-grade section. 4th St SE will naturally provide pedestrian access to the station from the north. The station could be east, west, or alligned directly above 4th st SE.

Too bad we can't build a beautiful library everywhere the LRT goes underground!

@Always_Biking Totally. I imagine this will be the stop of choice for people travelling from the north or southeast to the Stampede, Saddledome, NMC, Central Library, East Village, or Victoria Park. By 2030, hopefully this will be a great location for new hotels, offices and condos. By 2040-2050 (YYC pop 2 million; YEG pop 2 million), perhaps there will be regional rail, high-speed rail, and an airport spur from the Green Line @ Beddington. There's also potential for something grand here in the future... we'll see!

There's huge potential to build a very cool and busy public space at 4th st SE and 10th ave. I would love to see a station there with some sort of mixed use development also on site, and integrated with the LRT station.
My one hope for the Green line is one beautifully built station, I don't care wether its above or below grade. But I really would love to see something cool go in that space

I hope they take their time with the 4th street station and design something well thought out. Such a strategic location with the underpass to EV. I forgot about the underpass being right there and how it will connect into EV through Studio Bell. It's a massive opportunity to tie in EV to East Beltline.

I had forgotten about the underpass at 4th st SE! That location is very important for the future of East Village and Vic Park, let's hope the design is thoughtful.

Back