C28A21AC-D38A-4060-8618-138AF5215DEC.jpeg

they should build more of these on Macleod, maybe then they can make improvements to the roads and make them more pedestrian-friendly and a better urban vibe. With the industrial area having lots of breweries, LRT nearby and potentially dense living it North MacLeod could become a cool unique area albeit will take a while fr that to happen

they should build more of these on Macleod, maybe then they can make improvements to the roads and make them more pedestrian-friendly and a better urban vibe. With the industrial area having lots of breweries, LRT nearby and potentially dense living it North MacLeod could become a cool unique area albeit will take a while fr that to happen
Macleod is an awful stroad. So many run down strip malls from before any of us were born. It would take a lot to make this area a nice place to live.

I've been of the opinion for the longest time that the City needs to do this properly and commission a new, comprehensive MacLeod Trail Master Plan. The whole stretch from 25th Avenue to Heritage Drive is just a mismatch of bad design and poor urban planning and choices with no consistent / coherent growth and design strategy. Get an experienced/specialized design firm (My choice would be Gehl, who also recently did the Stephen Avenue Master Plan) to roll up their sleeves and come up with an urban design solution, so that the City and developers have something to work off of - especially as this massively important route in our city begins to develop; which won't be a question of if, but when.

The City did attempt it in the past, but it got voted down by Council:

Not sure if/when they will take another kick at it. There is some policy language in the Heritage Communities LAP about Macleod Trail, and I assume there will be similar language in the Chinook LAP, but I don't think a comprehensive corridor study is planned as far as I know.

I think the area just east of Macleod, from say 50th Ave to Glenmore, has some potential.

1A Street SW is scaled like other urban streets, it just needs for some of the industrial businesses and parking lots to be replaced with residential and commercial. There's even an existing cluster of mid-rise apartments between 55th and 58th, between 2nd and 3rd streets SW.

South of 58th, Centre Street has similar potential. And all of it is walking distance to Chinook Station.

Back