News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

That project seems to have gone quiet, I don't actually remember the last bit of news on it. Going to have to go look at the thread.

Reactions: AJX
That there isn't constant content being created isn't really 'gone quiet'.

Hopefully the province gets on board.
I didn't mean anything other than I haven't heard anything lately. Sometimes going quiet is positive, ducks work, I like to call it. But is that where it is, with the province to see if they want to jump on board? I genuinely forget and if you can save me from digging... ha.

Last edited:
Not particularly surprising with this party, but here's the Alberta minister for forestry, parks & tourism on the recent closure announcement for Morraine Lake access to private vehicles next year:

1673457070619.png

Reading generously, this is just a lazy anti-Ottawa wedge issue posturing. Less generously, it doesn't exactly read as a letter written by someone who is thinking about public transit or a train as the ultimate solution to Bow Valley's congestion.

I would have at least written it "federal government you guys are wrong... and I have a better idea, let's build a train"

If I were the NDP I'd bring it up as part of the campaign, given that rail to Banff is gaining traction in Calgary. A few years ago, it wasn't mentioned by the average person, but it's been coming up in conversation more frequently these days.

Seen this on reddit: China has developed the world's fastest hydrogen-powered train that travels at 160 km/h with a 500 km range. As they may be much cheaper to run than electric trains, they may expand the use case for new train projects worldwide.

Not sure if this is the right place to disuss this, but didn't see another thread for it. I noticed that the former Railtown site that Remington had won that $163M settlement for breach of contract for has a DP on it from the City of Calgary for what looks like a very permanent parking lot.

The big blue parcel(s) is the land in question:
1688055157999.png

The land was tied up by the Province for future high speed rail lands that is why CPR had a breach of contract with Remington. The only mention of high speed rail is Prairie Link, a private company that has proposed the $9B link from Calgary to Edmonton. This sounds like a complete pipe dream and i would be shocked if they actually build it.

The parking lot DP looks far from temporary as it has Stampede branded permanent gates and curbs, etc. Jumping to conclusions, but did the Province buy land for Prairie Link and the Stampede? This land would've been productive TOD lands under Remington, and as it stands it certainly looks to me like this is a weird deal. What it looks like is the Province bought very expensive land for a private rail company and now they have basically gifted a permanent parking lot to the Stampede for the indefinite future. Looks shady as fuck in my opinion, but maybe some other people have concrete details why the Province poached land from under Remington, to now just be another fucking surface parking lot.

Anyone have any info on this?

The parking lot DP looks far from temporary as it has Stampede branded permanent gates and curbs, etc. Jumping to conclusions, but did the Province buy land for Prairie Link and the Stampede?
The City leased this land iirc for the Stampede to run VIP parking during event centre construction.

Not sure if this is the right place to disuss this, but didn't see another thread for it. I noticed that the former Railtown site that Remington had won that $163M settlement for breach of contract for has a DP on it from the City of Calgary for what looks like a very permanent parking lot.

The big blue parcel(s) is the land in question:
View attachment 488725
The land was tied up by the Province for future high speed rail lands that is why CPR had a breach of contract with Remington. The only mention of high speed rail is Prairie Link, a private company that has proposed the $9B link from Calgary to Edmonton. This sounds like a complete pipe dream and i would be shocked if they actually build it.

The parking lot DP looks far from temporary as it has Stampede branded permanent gates and curbs, etc. Jumping to conclusions, but did the Province buy land for Prairie Link and the Stampede? This land would've been productive TOD lands under Remington, and as it stands it certainly looks to me like this is a weird deal. What it looks like is the Province bought very expensive land for a private rail company and now they have basically gifted a permanent parking lot to the Stampede for the indefinite future. Looks shady as fuck in my opinion, but maybe some other people have concrete details why the Province poached land from under Remington, to now just be another fucking surface parking lot.

Anyone have any info on this?

This temp lot has already been built. The DP is from 2020 and was completed in 2021. It is not paved, just a dirt lot, relatively easy to remove and begin construction.

Here are those stampede-branded gates.
gatesss.PNG

Before, it was just a fenced-off area with Remington's logo on it.
fenced.PNG

Here is CMLC's plan for the site (Within the next 30 years according to them):
ffwjoaof.PNG

ajoawjof.PNG

Stampede has been using that lot for over a decade (staff/etc parking during 10 day event).

I wouldn't be surprised if it gets fully paved once the arena construction actually begins if there are no other foreseeable plans for the parcel at that time.

Back