Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 98 67.1%
  • No

Votes: 38 26.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 10 6.8%

• Total voters
I doubt the Saddledome site will be developed like shown in future density renders too. The addition of more flat space to an already crowded Stampede Park, is too much of a positive for them to allow development.
Screenshot 2024-08-23 104955.png

These are my favorite debates. IMO the saddledome site has the least likely chance of succeeding in redevelopment, given the land uses surrounding it...atleast from a residential/office perspective. MAybe a parkade thing with retail front it? The success of the area, over the next 8-10 years hinges on the red areas. If those are developed, it truly means SP has done its job. The rest of rivers relies on bus barn movement, elbow river frontage, ect....

Would be nice to get a development along Olympic Way right in front of the Saddledome. Like was mentioned, even a parkade with retail at the bottom would do the trick. Could even just be seasonal vendor stalls or something. Would give a sense of completion to the eventual district.

View attachment 590352
These are my favorite debates. IMO the saddledome site has the least likely chance of succeeding in redevelopment, given the land uses surrounding it...atleast from a residential/office perspective. MAybe a parkade thing with retail front it? The success of the area, over the next 8-10 years hinges on the red areas. If those are developed, it truly means SP has done its job. The rest of rivers relies on bus barn movement, elbow river frontage, ect....
I remember this proposal a little bit to the right of the top red area. Wonder if they still own the land or it's been sold to a more reputable developer.

I remember this proposal a little bit to the right of the top red area. Wonder if they still own the land or it's been sold to a more reputable developer.

Beautiful design, a nice clean project that transitions nicely from what will be denser development along Stam Trail, to hopefully lower scale closer to the river. Simply unveiled at the wrong time, oil crashed merely months after

A farmer’s market and/or night market (a la Richmond Night Market) would be cool on the land!
It's the natural answer and fills much of the missing parts of the clock and calendar for the area to really be a 24/7/365 destination.

Brings families and people early to get the best produce, gives a chill place to wander and eat all day, all year. Activity will just be winding down right as the evening and event crowd should be picking up, assuming their is a nightlife component that emerges beyond the game/event nights.

You'd think there'd be a natural tie-in between agriculture/farmers market and stampede culture, but alas - Stampede has always been on the exhibition/entertainment side, it surprisingly has never really functioned (or shown much interest) in playing a more market/agriculture role like a traditional farmers market.

Still - seems like a natural fit if they can wrap their head around it!

The dome is so cool, too bad about the cables in the roof.

I doubt it too, but it doesn't have to be. All the development should go north of the SFP. I'd like to see a Football/Soccer field that butts up against to the river pathway along the Elbow. Maybe even move Weadickville there as a destination at the end of 17th. Could be something like this:
View attachment 590350
What image is this from? Is this happening in Calgary?

What image is this from? Is this happening in Calgary?
That is from Waco Texas, so you could pretty easily transport it here and have it fit the architecture and culture. Like people have said, a permanent farmers market could be a good anchor at the end of 17th Ave and "Stampede Trail". Pull people from the Beltline, EV and Victoria Park.

That is from Waco Texas, so you could pretty easily transport it here and have it fit the architecture and culture. Like people have said, a permanent farmers market could be a good anchor at the end of 17th Ave and "Stampede Trail". Pull people from the Beltline, EV and Victoria Park.
What makes Magnolia (what it's called in Waco) pretty unique is it's a reclaimed cotton oil processing site, so the silos and buildings were all there...Building that from scratch is probably cost prohibitive and lacks all the character. The closest comparable I can think of in Calgary is near the railyards off Inglewood....but IMO I don't see anything happening in Rivers that is a "formal" farmers market structure. Unless we REALLY like the bus barn lol
542f49191f6da.image.jpg

Fair
What makes Magnolia (what it's called in Waco) pretty unique is it's a reclaimed cotton oil processing site, so the silos and buildings were all there...Building that from scratch is probably cost prohibitive and lacks all the character. The closest comparable I can think of in Calgary is near the railyards off Inglewood....but IMO I don't see anything happening in Rivers that is a "formal" farmers market structure. Unless we REALLY like the bus barn lolView attachment 591310
I was more or less thinking of the smaller shop portion that weadickville kind of was during Stampede. At least a few years ago I remember being at stampede and getting a slurpie from a macs in Weadickville... Something needs to bring people on to the grounds more than the BMO and Arena. Version of those were already there so expecting new versions to bring people there will work a little but isn't sustainable. I don't even care if it is faux western and cliche, I think people would go. You'd be 3 blcoks from a Red and Green line station.

Quick aside, did a Calgary Stampede store ever open in BMO? I don't think so.

I'd be amazed if the Dome lot became anything other than a parking lot. It will get used during Stampede, maybe Cirque can put their tent there every few years.
Correct, I also dont think it's that big of a deal if it doesnt...the only caveat being if stampede decides to redevelop their office land, that is sort of the linchpin to that area...its a streetscape killer

Back