News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Looks like the Flames are pushing to have CalgaryNext linked with the potential Olympic bid. Seems like a pretty big gamble. If the bid succeeds it will probably push CalgaryNext forward, but if it fails they'll be right back at square one. Under the circumstances, it was had not to see it coming though.
I'm guessing that having it tied to an Olympic bid means public funding ;)

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/calgarynext-project-on-pause-says-ken-king

The Flames are apparently putting work on CalgaryNEXT on hold to emphasize "Plan B." Which according to the article is solely about a new arena somewhere on or near the Stampede Grounds. I really didn't like the part about "orphaning" McMahon. We really need a better football stadium. :(

I'm not surprised by this. It's really all about the arena, as that's where the revenue is.

At some point though, McMahon will need to be replaced or something.....I have a feeling that will be where the taxpayer dollars come in.

Some combination of the Olympics and/or the World Cup of Soccer are probably the only ways to make it work then.

I'm not surprised by this. It's really all about the arena, as that's where the revenue is.

At some point though, McMahon will need to be replaced or something.....I have a feeling that will be where the taxpayer dollars come in.
McMahon needed to be replaced 20 years ago.

Some combination of the Olympics and/or the World Cup of Soccer are probably the only ways to make it work then.
My gut feeling is the arena will get built no matter what. CSE is looking for a way to get taxpayer money to go towards something...anything that will stick. If that fails they'll go ahead with their own arena.

Interesting bit of news to wake up to this morning: http://calgaryherald.com/news/local...est-village-project-is-dead-says-mayor-nenshi

According to his quotes in the article it was news to Ken King too. I'm not surprised. The creosote remediation and massive infrastruture changes and upgrades would hve probably pushed the WV concept above $2B. I like the idea of having an active sporting facility on the West side of downtown, but I never like what the Flames were pushing.

Plan B, now probably come Plan A, appears to be a new arena somewhere in Victoria Park. It isn't clear if that would be somewhere else on the grounds or north in the sea of parking and wasteland south of the tracks. The field house wouls apparently be built "somewhere in the NW." I'm not sure where that would be, but if I'm guessing the size correctly, I think would would mean the far North in the vacinity of Sage Hill and Evanston et al. or down by the tracks near the NW Soccer Centre. I don't know where else they could fit it in.

Sadly as usual McMahon is the orphan in all this. All that are proposed are "some upgrades." I hope that would at least mean covered concourses under the stands and better bathrooms, but I won't hold my breath. I'd way rather see them follow the model where they tear down and rebuild half the Stadium at a time.

I'm not sure where that would be, but if I'm guessing the size correctly, I think would would mean the far North in the vacinity of Sage Hill and Evanston et al. or down by the tracks near the NW Soccer Centre. I don't know where else they could fit it in.
Captureathelitcpark.PNG

http://www.s2architecture.com/work/foothills-athletic-park-master-plan.html

One of the plans in Foothills Atheletic Park. Site is likely to shift, as the university when it comes time might play in a land swap on the super block, to make the university land more contiguous.

Attachments

• Captureathelitcpark.PNG
    Captureathelitcpark.PNG
    642.6 KB · Views: 287
To be honest I'm of the opinion that the best way to do this is to have the arena as a separate project over in Victoria Park, and let the Flames owners deal with that. I'm not even opposed to some public money being used for the arena. I think a workable deal with the city can be done.

Certainly the easiest path to a new arena would be for it to be separate, and then they can put it in around the Stampede area. As far as public money goes, it depends on the situation. If it was no more than what they put into the library....which I believe was around $100 million, I could be on board. Also maybe the city can put forth a ticket levy to go toward help paying it back.

Certainly the easiest path to a new arena would be for it to be separate, and then they can put it in around the Stampede area. As far as public money goes, it depends on the situation. If it was no more than what they put into the library....which I believe was around $100 million, I could be on board. Also maybe the city can put forth a ticket levy to go toward help paying it back.
"Planning for the New Central Library began in 2004, when Calgary City Council committed $40 million to the project. In 2011, council committed an additional $135 million from Calgary’s Community Investment Fund toward the NCL. CMLC then contributed $70 million from our Community Revitalization Levy (CRL) to top up funding for the total project cost of $245 million. "

The funding for the new library comes from:
  • The federal government: $40 million via the GST refund for cities as part of Paul Martin's New Deal for Cities and Communities (2004)
  • Property taxes via the provincial government:$135 million from Calgary’s Community Investment Fund, which was funded by back-filling a cut in the provincial education property tax take in Calgary under Ed Stelmach. This same backfill now funds the Greenline iirc
  • Property taxes: $70 million from the Community Revitalization Levy

Thanks Darwink! So $245.00 mil to the library. Maybe ~$100.00 mil to the new arena? I know public funding is not a popular choice due to the private ownership, but I think there is still some public benefit. Selfishly for me it would be the concerts, I would probably go more times to see concerts in a new arena then I would be going to the new library.

Back