Happy to hear that my councilor has similar reservations about this development. Gives me some hope.

Sadly, I haven't heard back from my Councillor (who is also the Councillor for this DP) or the file manager but I did hear back from the Mayor's office where they thanked me for offering my perspective. I suppose that's something. At the end of the day, the more people write in, the greater the odds the politicians and the City of Calgary staff start to take notice.

There doesn't seem to be any redeeming quality about this development other than it's a billion dollar investment in downtown. Sure, that's not nothing but it focusing on the investment dollar figure and ignoring everything else means the City of Calgary is like an addict desperate for a fix.... we'll overlook everything regardless of how destructive it might be for us in the long term just to get one more high in. Not exactly a great way to build a vibrant downtown for the ages.

@outoftheice is right. The more people that write in the better chance council takes this seriously. In the past councilors have voted in favor of developments that aren't in their riding as usually only people in the riding where the development is proposed only care about it. This one being right downtown and central to everyone might actually help get it voted against, especially when the city is spending millions to try and re-vitalize downtown. Antone who's against this project needs to write to the file manager or councilor. The more the merrier.

How about a small retail business rent subsidy for a density bonus? Kind of like attempting to get developers to include affordable housing units.

Help maintain some diverse M&P businesses.
Time to revisit the entire density bonusing structure if +15s are something to bonus for. Destroys street life in the long term

The only part of this development I want is hotel. It's actually kind of crazy that there's only 1 on all of Stephen Ave.

Edit, nevermind, forgot about Le Germain and the Marriott, there's no shortage of hotels in the area lol. Still would be nice to have a proper boutique hotel that opens directly onto 8th though.

The only part of this development I want is hotel. It's actually kind of crazy that there's only 1 on all of Stephen Ave.

Edit, nevermind, forgot about Le Germain and the Marriott, there's no shortage of hotels in the area lol. Still would be nice to have a proper boutique hotel that opens directly onto 8th though.
Delta is also only a couple blocks away.

Delta is also only a couple blocks away.

Don't forget the Palliser also a block away - so no shortages of hotels in the immediate area.

I thought Le Germain and the Palliser both were 5 star...
5 star is more about amenities and level of service (how many hours room service is open for example) than what most people would judge as ‘quality’, even if most would generally go hand in hand. Palliser iirc can never be five star as it doesn’t have an off the road car drop off (might remember the Calgary city centre development had one for the rumoured Ritz Carlton). Le Germain doesn’t have a pool, so wouldn’t fit in the traditional metrics. Hyatt could be but the level of service needed just isn’t necessary or expected.

I believe the only 5 star hotel in Alberta is Edmontons JW Marriott, and staying there you can tell that it is a step above. I doubt it is worth maintaining that level of service however, and I expect it to switch to a 4 star brand after ~ 10 years.

The systems are not universal and the spread of boutique hotels did shake things up (lack of pool was no longer seen as being capped at 3 stars.

Back