A new DP has been submitted. Description includes Hotel and conference space. Think they got so much pushback with the original they did a quick redesign? Or, how quickly could you pull that off? It will be interesting to see what differs now with this one vs. the original:

Edit: Looking at the description further, I would bet this is the DP for the "future phases" shown in the original one. Strange permitting strategy it seems to me....

Last edited:
A new DP has been submitted. Description includes Hotel and conference space. Think they got so much pushback with the original they did a quick redesign? Or, how quickly could you pull that off? It will be interesting to see what differs now with this one vs. the original:

Edit: Looking at the description further, I would bet this is the DP for the "future phases" shown in the original one. Strange permitting strategy it seems to me....
Maybe they were told they had to build some of those future phases as part of phase 1 or it will never get approved.

Why would they need more convention space across the street from the Telus Convention Centre? Is this just a 'reason' besides building office space for them to level the entire block?

Why would they need more convention space across the street from the Telus Convention Centre? Is this just a 'reason' besides building office space for them to level the entire block?
To compete against the new convention centre, and future proof in case Telus was closed by the city.

The only thing the Telus Convention Centre has going for it is that it can hold smaller events than the BMO Centre. After BMO's expansion it'll be able to hold smaller events in the meeting rooms and ballrooms making the Telus Convention Centre practically obsolete

The only thing the Telus Convention Centre has going for it is that it can hold smaller events than the BMO Centre. After BMO's expansion it'll be able to hold smaller events in the meeting rooms and ballrooms making the Telus Convention Centre practically obsolete
Convert it to a YMCA. Main hall upstairs can be a fieldhouse.

Ya, my guess is it'll be more a banquet facility for the hotel for weddings and the like.
You're probably right, won't be to TELUS' scale. I also think being right downtown helps TELUS, BMO and its expansion are a train or car/taxi ride away.
Convert it to a YMCA. Main hall upstairs can be a fieldhouse.
I said this before even really thinking about it, convention spaces could pretty easily convert to YMCA/gym/fieldhouse. Looking at the floor plan the numerous smaller rooms could be yoga, spin, Pilates, Crossfit spaces. You could keep some of those spaces on other floors as daycare spaces. Biggest change would be the requirement for change rooms and showers but if that's all you have to do, that's not much. You could even have the change rooms spread throughout the facility and use existing washrooms for people that use the services (Fieldhouse, yoga, spin, etc.) in that area.

Maybe you take some people away from Lindsay Park but a downtown fieldhouse would be pretty cool.

Field house X= big gym, at least as conceived by the Calgary group, which is for indoor track and field (and because it would have the room, soccer, football). Very very high ceilings. Need to be able to throw a javelin in there!

What Calgary doesn’t have and would usefully reuse a lot of the amenities: a market hall. You have parking, elevators, ramps, loading docks, transit, pedestrian mall, large central hall and the market could grow out to other spaces.

If the north side hall is to be shuttered, I would want an effort at adaptive reuse. And I think a market could be cheap and best.

Field house X= big gym, at least as conceived by the Calgary group, which is for indoor track and field (and because it would have the room, soccer, football). Very very high ceilings. Need to be able to throw a javelin in there!
I wasn't thinking that kind of fieldhouse... I was thinking more indoor field turf surface for soccer in the main hall and a gym/basketball/volleyball court in the other large hall.
CTCC.JPG
CTCC2.JPG

I think the south older part of the Telus convention Centre is likely to be sold to either the Glenbow for expansion space or the Marriot where it'll serve as conference space
I'm only piggy backing here on the idea that the Calgary Telus Convention Centre is obsolete but is it a known thing that the CTCC is struggling? I mean obviously over the last couple years it has been, but are they actually looking to sell the south portion or is this just us Skyrise folk whiteboarding some what-ifs?

Before the pandemic the Telus Convention Centre had it's lease extended. There was talk at the time of the city possibly decommissioning or selling the building because of the at the time planned for expansion of the BMO Centre (why do we have two convention centres downtown?) The Telus Convention Centre was able to convince city council that there was a market for small scale events in the downtown that BMO would have a hard time hosting.

Back