I dunno, even though there’s a population boom it doesn’t seem to be translating into jobs in the oil industry, and thus not driving growth in downtown office jobs.
I could be wrong though. I haven’t seen any recent numbers for office space vacancy.
~31% total vacancy downtown and over 16% for AA buildings. The only reason Suncor would want to build a highly efficient building would be to meet their net zero by 2050 goal, as opposed to kicking in cash and improving their current space. Only problem with the new building is it creates a vacuum of backfill space if they do build the new office. Realistically, not a single square foot of office space should be built until AA class buildings are like 4% vacancy and overall vacancy is ~15%, so at current net absorption rates and shifts towards WFH, a good strategy is that we should break ground on a new downtown office not a day before Jan 1, 2075.

I have a friend that works at Suncor and they confirmed that Suncor has renewed their lease in their current tower with Brookfield committing to investing in improvements to the amenities and atrium space. Makes sense given the resignation of their previous CEO, so I’m pretty confident that Stephen Avenue Quarter has lost their potential lead tenant.

So despite all the opposition/criticism, has the DP been approved? Although I do know that approval doesn’t necessarily mean construction will even ensue!
As per the file manager last week:
Applicant hasn't sent in a modified proposal to respond to the detailed team review sent to them in July.
Applicant had extended the time frame to respond, new deadline is end of January but of course that can be extended again.

This has absolutely nothing to do with “why Canada lags behind”. Canada doesn’t lag behind in almost any measure except for military and public transport. This has nothing to do with either of those things.

Omg the buildings on 7th are absolutely valueless even with upgrades. Just because @O-tac and others lost their virginity in those buildings doesn't mean they should stay. This is why Canada lags behind.

You sound like you work for the developer. Or maybe you’re just an awful conservative troll. You should go join the SSP local Calgary section for likeminded individuals.

You sound like you work for the developer. Or maybe you’re just an awful conservative troll. You should go join the SSP local Calgary section for likeminded individuals.
Being a conservative has nothing to do with this.
#VoteSmith

Edit: Wow! That skyscraper page looks hard to navigate.

Last edited:

Back