Something is weird with those floor datum elevations on the phasing diagrams.
The Ground Floor lists ‘100000’ with a “?” above it. On the levels above that an extra digit is added.
Is there anything else that confirms the 287m height ? (Michael S - can you help ?).
I am just going based on what was posted online in the plans. And, admittedly, there is a greater than 0% chance I misread things, so if someone sees a different elevation, let us all know and we will get Surrealplaces to update the thread title.

Wasn’t the parkade project killed at SDAB?
Correct. Council actually supported the robo parkade (can't remember if Councillor Farrel did or not, but the majority did) with an approved DC land use tied to the plans. Because the conditions were kind of open ended (sort out how the garbage will work to the satisfaction of administration, or something like that) it allowed an ability for an appellant (in this case, Triovest I believe) to appeal the project and gave SDAB enough leaway to state that the conditions weren't satisfied, so the project was refused.

Correct. Council actually supported the robo parkade (can't remember if Councillor Farrel did or not, but the majority did) with an approved DC land use tied to the plans. Because the conditions were kind of open ended (sort out how the garbage will work to the satisfaction of administration, or something like that) it allowed an ability for an appellant (in this case, Triovest I believe) to appeal the project and gave SDAB enough leaway to state that the conditions weren't satisfied, so the project was refused.
It makes one wonder if complaints about alley access was really that appellants wanted the 7th ave block for themselves so they could demolish it and build this. Hypothetically of course..

Public sentiment will be: “New tallest?…cool cool. They’re demolishing some old buildings?…what’s the big deal. Dual block 6 storey mass and the history and character spaces of the interior on the Stephen Ave side wiped out?…meh, I never go downtown. There’s nowhere to park.”

Thanks for looking that up. I had it in my mind that Councillor Farrell had made a big public push against this project because she didn't support more parking in downtown and that's what led to the initial developer abandoning the project but perhaps I mis-remembered how things went down. I must be getting old, memory isn't what it once was!
I think that angle did come up, that normally it would not have been supported and this was a special case due to the public good of the restoration of 8 historic buildings.

This seems rushed, and like it might end up in demolition of the historic buildings and a site that sits empty because the financing suddenly didn't make sense.

I'd feel differently if this were on an empty parking lot - instead of directly adjacent to Telus Sky, on Stephen Ave, on a city block full of human scale heritage.

Has Triovest built anything of note anywhere that would make people feel comfortable or confident that they can pull off a project in a heritage district like Stephen Avenue that requires a signature project from street-level on up and the utmost care?

Back