We definitely don’t need more office space, that’s what got downtown into the mess it’s in. Residential would be nice, but again this is just like some of the issues we’ve seen in the beltline. For the love of God why can’t residential be built on one of the several empty lots we have around downtown.

I know it’s a developers choice to build where they own the land but I wish the city would incentivize residential development on an empty lot instead of locations like this one. Maybe some sort of tax break or incentive for developing lots that are empty? 🤷‍♂️

Venturing a guess at possible build-to-suit tenants in tow for the office portion: someone had mentioned that these are tech-sized floorplates in an amenity-rich space like a lot of the new Vancouver office towers and they are absolutely right. If i were to guess, Neo Financial just attained unicorn status after there Series C round, and they seem like the kind of group that could be on a growth trajectory that would be looking for a build-to-suit option to house all of there operations by the time that this space is built and ready for tenant fixturing.
They want to do something with large floorplates like the Amazon building in Vancouver. I could see a company like Neo wanting something like that.

We definitely don’t need more office space, that’s what got downtown into the mess it’s in. Residential would be nice, but again this is just like some of the issues we’ve seen in the beltline. For the love of God why can’t residential be built on one of the several empty lots we have around downtown.

I know it’s a developers choice to build where they own the land but I wish the city would incentivize residential development on an empty lot instead of locations like this one. Maybe some sort of tax break or incentive for developing lots that are empty? 🤷‍♂️
Maybe give a tax break/incentive once a certain percentage of the empty lot has been developed? The tax break/incentive could stack higher depending on the percentage of the land developed

Neo is taking the 2 top floors of the Bay building and have a floor or two in the Edison, I doubt it's them. I do wonder if the city could block the office part, I definitely think it's irresponsible to build.
Fair point, not too sure I’m not too in tune with what tenants might be expanding and contracting that would want the space been out of CRE for a while. 🤷‍♂️

I tried to workout what the buildings would look like as part of our skyline height wise, at least the 2 taller ones, this is what I came up with, sloppy considering it did it on my phone on the bus but gives the right idea.

Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 6.30.00 PM.png

The forumer on SSP who heard about the company moving in says it's Suncor (big oil company in big red building). Imagine adding the Suncor towers to the empty inventory around the core! Amazing that nothing has been learned from every successive oil boom then bust. By the time this tower gets built the war in Ukraine will hopefully be over and the cost per barrel will be much lower. Not to mention the transition to renewables will have further undermined O&G. This proposal seems like an even ballsier move than when Encana had the city grant them the massive parkade and destruction of the York hotel in exchange for a cultural building which never materialized. At least they hired a reputable architect and had a vision. This seems like they are trying to hide the design rather than flaunt it. I have almost zero faith the other two towers will ever happen and if they do they will be much shorter and value engineered.

I hope this dies the same way that the robo-parkade proposal did. At least that one went to the effort of preserving the historic buildings along 7th Ave and not touching Stephen Ave. How sad is it that a parkade had better street activation and was a better proposal than this.

Back