I get the vibe @O-tac dislikes this proposal

DistantMedicalIrishdraughthorse-max-1mb.gif

I feel like if you are building a new massive high rise, make it a statement and stand out like the Bow or Telus Sky. This seems generic. Why don't they put this somewhere farther down the street if they really want to build it.

This proposal is like… personally offensive. Like what? You're trying to just ruin my skyline and put a nuclear bunker podium on the most beautiful street in the city?

Somebody needs a slap.

I wasn't on here when other projects of this size (the Bow, Brookfield, TELUS Sky) were at this stage, but to me, this feels very 'back door dealing'.

Seems like they're trying to push it through when nobody really asked for this. It's weird I remember so much excitement about those other projects whereas this one doesn't feel like that. You'd think a city subsidizing development in the form of office conversions would be falling over ourselves to get a project like this off the ground but we're not, no one is as far as I can tell.

What is the planning commission being told and sold?

They still haven't even publicly released quality renders that show this entire project yet.... for something that's being billed as Calgary's premiere development on downtown's most important block. Literally every single thing about the project feels like a shady, backroom deal where the fix is already in and they are hoping the public doesn't notice before it's too late. A closed door CPC update is just the icing on the cake.

Sounds like there may be some tweaks to this development coming in about 2 weeks. Also disappointed in the Mayor's comments in this article. Telus Sky is an enhancement to our skyline, not to the area. The streetlife and vitality of that corner is far less today than it was when Art Central was on there. So in terms of postcard photos, Telus Sky is a win. In terms of a vibrant downtown, it was a loss. Same as the Bow. The Triovest proposal will kill the vibrancy in the same way but will do so on Calgary's most important downtown street and without delivering any sort of signature tower into the skyline either.

"No decision on the plan has been made, although Triovest says news on the development will be coming in the next two weeks... ...In cases where significant heritage fabric exists, the project team is exploring opportunities to retain more than just the facades, including the massing [shape and form], the spatial configuration, and the finishes of existing heritage buildings.”

Back