Votes: 4 2.7%
  • 5 Not Very Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 Terrible

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
Image1.jpg

From https://www.reddit.com/user/5impl3jack/

Here are some typical rents for unfurnished suites and the incentives that are being offered to sign a lease.

Premier Suites have also taken over some of the suites and furnished them.

I am thinking there are still quite a few empty units in this building. Just bad timing. A luxury rental like this would probably not be planned and built today.

Last edited:
Here are some typical rents for unfurnished suites and the incentives that are being offered to sign a lease.

Premier Suites have also taken over some of the suites and furnished them.

I am thinking there are still quite a few empty units in this building. Just bad timing. A luxury rental like this would probably not be planned and built today.
It's not just the pricing/timing. It's the location. Who the hell wants to live there? It's a sweet spot for an office building, right next to the C-train line. But it's not close to any other residential (can't easily visit friends); it's far from any of the grocery stores - I reckon the Superstore in EV is the closest; it's kind of a crummy area around the building; and outside of palominos, it's not really close to any good restaurants or bars, at least relative to comparable spots in the beltline. What are you paying for? The view? That gets old quickly.

The only market I could see being really into it is business travellers, but that's a lot of residential for only travellers...

It's not just the pricing/timing. It's the location. Who the hell wants to live there? It's a sweet spot for an office building, right next to the C-train line. But it's not close to any other residential (can't easily visit friends); it's far from any of the grocery stores - I reckon the Superstore in EV is the closest; it's kind of a crummy area around the building; and outside of palominos, it's not really close to any good restaurants or bars, at least relative to comparable spots in the beltline. What are you paying for? The view? That gets old quickly.

The only market I could see being really into it is business travellers, but that's a lot of residential for only travellers...

I don't really see the location as a big problem. If you only have friends in one community, then of course living in that commmunity would be closer. If you have friends in multiple inner city neighbourhoods then a central location with a train to Bridgeland, Sunalta, Sunnyside, Mission, etc. is at least as good location-wise as being close to one and far from the others. It's 800m from the Superstore (only 250m if you use the free, semi-frequent train); you're further than 800m from a supermarket at 14th St and either 17th Ave SW or Kensington Road; at Central Memorial Park; at the Ship and Anchor; at 33rd Ave past 19th St. Not to mention entire communities like Bridgeland, Bankview, Inglewood. I'll grant you that some people will feel unsafe in the area at night, and that's a problem. Palomino is good, don't get me wrong, but if you think that's the only decent restaurant on Stephen Ave, I'm just not sure what to say. And in my personal experience in an apartment with a view, the view is the one amenity that you actually take advantage of every single day; you don't need to get changed and take an elevator or whatever, just look out your window while making coffee.

But none of that is worth paying upwards of $3.60 per square foot for, when new 'luxury' buildings are mostly going for quite a bit less; Park Central is the only other one in the same price range, Underwood and Arris are around $3.00 and places like Hat EV, Versus, and SoDo run $2.20 or so.

Did a walk through of the rental units back when it first opened and the other tidbit is that all patio furniture is banned from the balconies due to wind so even if you have the killer views you can't sit out there to enjoy them or even BBQ on your balcony.

Did a walk through of the rental units back when it first opened and the other tidbit is that all patio furniture is banned from the balconies due to wind so even if you have the killer views you can't sit out there to enjoy them or even BBQ on your balcony.
I'm not surprised. When I was working there, they had a windscreen installed all around the top. Wind gusts would get brutal. What would feel like a 20 km/h wind gust on ground level felt like 50km/h on the 40th floor.

I went up to the 17t or 18th floor (highest commercial floor) and the wind was nuts, it was a relatively calm day on the ground too. Definitely not surprised furniture isn't allowed.

Likely the wind tunnel effect from the really high buildings around TS, plus it's quite a bit higher than the Guardian.

I lived on the 9th floor of a building facing west at the western edge of the beltline and there were many days I couldn't use the patio due to the wind, just a factor of life in Calgary...

Lol what are you talking about? There are like a 3 significant residential buildings within a 3 block radius… the EV superstore is only 4 blocks away (well within walking distance, of course) which is closer than most of the inner city is to a full service grocery, and it is right next to Stephen Avenue. This building is better served by restaurants than likely any other major residential building in the core. And it’s literally at a westbound station and kitty corner to southbound station.
I can’t see any of what you’re talking about other than it being kind of a scuzzy area in the immediate surroundings of the building. Which of course will change in time.

Back