The landscaping is going in. Plus more mural. I think they really hit it out of the park with the mural. Contrast it with the Bucci mural (last image), which just doesn't work. Overall the building is a nice addition to the neighborhood. It's good looking and adds a nice backdrop to the skate park, pedestrian/c-train overpass, and community garden. I can't describe how much better the underside of the overpass looks. It used to be sketchy and dim. Now there are regularly skateboarders hanging out there, and the community garden is sprouting. There are some big bench swings to sit on and watch Memorial Dr go by. (Although two of the swings seem to be missing?)
IMG_6884.jpg
IMG_6882.jpg
IMG_6883.jpg
IMG_6887.jpg
IMG_6885.jpg
IMG_6903.jpg
IMG_6858.jpg

They did a nice job with the plaza out front. To the right on the first photo, you can see the sidewalk coming down 9A St, and how the building recedes from it to make space. Note that the building lines up with the houses to the south (see the fence), and to the condos to the north (up the sidewalk). There was already a westward jog in the sidewalk to make room for the C-train/pedestrian overpass, so the designers used that to their advantage to work in the plaza. Of the recent mid-rises in the area, I find this the best integration with surroundings.

At the front, looks like there are three double doors (on the left in photo) that can open wide, might be very nice and inviting on warm days. Depends on what the plan is, will that be a common space inside? I can only imagine that working well if rest of building is secured from common area. Otherwise, I fear the double doors will be a nice fantasy, never allowed to open due to random trespassers?

I think it's a nice entrance area, but my one minor criticism is that the front door could be more pronounced. It's to the right of the HIVE sign, could you tell that's the entryway? Delivery drivers will be going to the left first, trying to figure out where the vestibule is.
IMG_6956.jpg
IMG_6957.jpg

Last edited:

Back