News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I hear complaints about commuting quite a bit ever since people started coming back into the office. From people who live in places like Legacy, and Chaparral, or Airdrie. I don't judge them for wanting to live where they live as everyone's circumstance is different, but certain things come with the territory, and also people don't always factor everything in.
I don't think a lot of people think about the cost or time involved in commuting. A coworker of mine who bought in Legacy was actually looking at inner city areas, including my area, but decided on Legacy, and got a place for 150K cheaper.
There's a straight up cost savings, and depending on where you work or the nature of your work, you could fully realize those cost savings. If you work downtown or inner city, things change. He burns at least $10 in gas round trip, and pays $26-30 for parking.
Just the $36-40 a day in gas and parking adds up to around $300 per month - for only two days a week. Over time that eats into the money saved on buying in the burbs, and then you have the indirect costs. An hour of travel each way, plus high usage on the vehicle.
I paid more to live inner city, but when I cycle into work, it's $0 gas $0 parking, and it's 15 minutes travel by bike or car, about 20 by bus. Round trip travel by bus is just over $7. There's almost no time or financial cost in my commute. My wife's 2010 vehicle is still in great shape and has rarely been in for maintenance because it hardly gets driven.

Last edited:
I hear complaints about commuting quite a bit ever since people started coming back into the office. From people who live in places like Legacy, and Chaparral, or Airdrie. I don't judge them for wanting to live where they live as everyone's circumstance is different, but certain things come with the territory, and also people don't always factor everything in.
I don't think a lot of people think about the cost or time involved in commuting. A coworker of mine who bought in Legacy was actually looking at inner city areas, including my area, but decided on Legacy, and got a place for 150K cheaper.
There's a straight up cost savings, and depending on where you work or the nature of your work, you could fully realize those cost savings. If you work downtown or inner city, things change. He burns at least $10 in gas round trip, and pays $26-30 for parking.
Just the $36-40 a day in gas and parking adds up to around $300 per month - for only two days a week. Over time that eats into the money saved on buying in the burbs, and then you have the indirect costs. An hour of travel each way, plus high usage on the vehicle.
I paid more to live inner city, but when I cycle into work, it's $0 gas $0 parking, and it's 15 minutes travel by bike or car, about 20 by bus. Round trip travel by bus is just over $7. There's almost no time or financial cost in my commute. My wife's 2010 vehicle is still in great shape and has rarely been in for maintenance because it hardly gets driven.
Yeah, when we bought in Lake Bonavista, it was very much due to transit and amenity proximity. Our realtor thought we were nuts, when we showed them a map of where we were willing to look--10 minutes to stations, and 20 additional minutes to downtown. Created all sorts of pockets over the city.

I swear some people dont think about transportation or location for a single second when choosing where to live. I have a coworker who complains endlessly about commuting on deerfoot everyday. He lives in the SE and we work downtown. He just recently was condo hunting and finally found "the perfect place" that he ended up buying. Location? Airdrie
In today's day and age there's literally no excuse.. one can plug locations into Google Map with live traffic data, to see how long your commute is and how close it is to certain amenities. It's also possible to type in other times and it uses historical traffic data to estimate how long it'll take. Surprised people don't do that when making one of the biggest purchases of their lives

Back