News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

17th has really come of age. I was there on the weekend too, and was amazed at how busy it was, and at how well used Tomkins Park is. It used to be a place used mostly by homeless people and such, but when I was there Friday night I saw a mix of seniors, kids, teenagers, etc.. Just about every demographic was using the park, it was great to see. View attachment 77790

I agree. Tomkins Park may well have been the biggest surprise of all. I don't think I've ever seen it looks so clean, vibrant and inviting before.

Odball, your observations are bang on in every way. When the Royal is finished and they have a Canadian Tire and a grocery store in there, 17th will feel complete with many options.

The Est side of 2nd st is finally getting a boost. Everything is coming together very well

Recent pic by Oddball, shows the Beltline coming along nicely...especially the southwest corner of the Beltline.

sw-jpg.78998

Hi All,

I Used to Live on the Beltline Lived There for awhile when i Worked in Courier Land; Would I go Back, YUP. What is holding Me back? Medical and NOT sure if I can afford the "High Rents". Yes I have Seen a Lot,of Change as Well. NOT into Bars, Pubs or Resturants as a Rule, Well maybe KFC or Wendy's
etc If You want a wife/kids B Best to look else where.

Tnx,
Operater

Last edited:
These signs were installed this week on the 13th Avenue Greenway. There are about 10 in total and I am posting a few that caught my interest
park2.jpg
park1.jpg
park3.jpg
park4.jpg

Attachments

• park2.jpg
    park2.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 411
  • park1.jpg
    park1.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 448
  • park3.jpg
    park3.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 424
  • park4.jpg
    park4.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 455
That's kickass. "Up-and-coming acts such as Nirvana, the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, The Tragically Hip, and Sarah McLachlan."

Amazing. More reasons to love Calgary :p

Hi Group,
It will B Interesting to See how the Beltline looks in say 5/7 Years Time. I think a lot of these 3/4 Story Bldgs will B long gone in favour of High Rise Apt./Condo Towers. It gets to a Point that the Value of Land makes it Worth While to Knock Out Existing Low Rise Bldgs for things Like Commercial/High Rise Condo/Apt Towers because it Jusifies the Costs Involved to Redevelope the Land. Hint - It also has City Hall Approval.

Tnx.
Operater

God that pic of 1st street with the streetcar in it makes me wonder what things would be like it they had have kept the streetcars.
The recent completion of the redo of 1st Street's 10th to 17th Avenue's pedestrian corridor has really elevated the place. Unfortunately it's not much of a competition, but 1st Street is easily Calgary's most continuous, high-quality main street from an pedestrian-focused urban design perspective. Every corner was given attention, wide/consistent sidewalks, pedestrian lighting, reduced vehicle curb radii, transit-first bus stop orientation, minimal alleys/vehicle ramps interfering with the pedestrian realm (by Calgary standards), only one advance-green signal (12th Ave turning northbound on 1st), integration with 13th Avenue Greenway, 17th Avenue rebuild and redone 1st Street underpass.

Every area looking to redo the streetscape should use 1st Street as our best local example, it really highlights the attention to detail required to do these rebuilds right if we want to become a truly urban city. 1st Street has excelled in just about everything - except for project scheduling as it took over a decade to complete the 7 blocks of improvements. We literally built from blueprint to completion of existing 3/4 of the ring road, the West LRT + all other transit projects, and countless other major projects in the time it took to widen some sidewalks.

This being the messy business of city-building it perhaps is not surprising, but wowzers that took a long time. Worth the wait though :)

Back