News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The sister building in Hamilton:
00056.jpg

Thanks for posting flar. At least it marks the spot where the ugliness of Main Street West ends and the beauty that is Dundas begins.

The Hamilton version is better though. The windows aren't "upside down", there's that centre glass element, and if you're going to go with a questionable palette, make it intense. It just doesn't meet the street well, judging from that photo.

:eek: Oh Dear...
Who threw up?
I kinda liked the old building that used to be on that site on Gerrard St..
In need of a renovation surely...
But to be replaced by this?

The Hamilton version is better though. The windows aren't "upside down", there's that centre glass element, and if you're going to go with a questionable palette, make it intense. It just doesn't meet the street well, judging from that photo.

The picture shows the side of the building, which faces a powerline corridor. The front actually goes right up to Main West. The front is ugly and features a protruding yellow concrete stair well, but it will have first floor retail facing the street, including a restaurant/pub with patio. That's pretty good for Main West, much of which is strip malls.

:eek: Oh Dear...
Who threw up?
I kinda liked the old building that used to be on that site on Gerrard St..
In need of a renovation surely...
But to be replaced by this?

Hearing someone barf or smelling it make you want to throw up too? Me too sometimes. Think of the vicious spiral that this building may incite at times.

Hey, if drummers occasionally spontaneously combust, what's to say that passersby here may not occasionally spontaneously project?

fg-barf.jpg

Does anyone know what the proposal before this one looked like?
Well, it might have been the same proposal but a different design.
I remember the issues with the former were that it didn't interact well with the aged buildings around it and that it was too tall.......
I wonder what made the city approve this one... :confused:

This building is taking one of the most interesting approaches to finding tenants that I have ever seen... an eBay-style auction for all the units, all going to who makes the highest bid for monthly rent.

Campus Common Online Auction

They're offering pretty impressive bonuses as well. The winning bidder on a $1811 (starting price) 3-bedroom unit also gets:

· Ikea gift card loaded with enough for you to furnish your apartment with 3 beds, 3 desks, 3 chairs, 3 shelf units, 3 dressers
· 3 LG 32" flat screen plasma TVs (or equivalent)
· 3 Dell Inspiron 1525 laptops (or equivalent)

What this strategy actually means, I don't know. Are they desperate to offer big prizes or are they so confident that they're trying to foster a bidding war?

thanks for bringing up this thread again. i forgot that i took a shot of it from the 8th floor of jorgenson hall.

DSC06136.jpg

I suspect they are having problems renting, I don't see many lights on in there at night.

Does anyone know what the proposal before this one looked like?
Well, it might have been the same proposal but a different design.

Anybody still have the rendering of that April Fool's spoof project a few years back on UT?

Back