News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

A few different photos posted here online. https://www.venuetwin.com/case-studies/how-venue-twin-is-a-game-changer-for-commonwealth-stadium/
1654282065249.png
1654282123105.png

This appears to be good news. It looks to me that the provincial government compromised on it's funding condition of 5 games.

https://www.hostcity.com/news/sport...full-commitment-fifa-world-cup-2026-ambitions

That is good news.

FIFA wants to form hosting clusters made up of three cities in close proximity I think I read and Edmonton, Vancouver and Seattle would be a good one.

Edmonton to Seattle is 2 hours, which is nearly an hour better than Seattle to Los Angeles at 2 hours 50 minutes.

TSN 1260 Edmonton radio is discussing a report right now that Edmonton is in fact not chosen as one of the host cities. Keep in mind the report they are discussing is coming out of Vancouver and may be typical crap on Edmonton BS but it is very coincidental that on the day of the report, the province relaxes its games number demand. Perhaps the province realized they were getting 0 games instead of 5 games.

Can anyone confirm this or have any insights?

Last edited:
TSN 1260 Edmonton radio is discussing a report right now that Edmonton is in fact not chosen as one of the host cities. Keep in mind the report they are discussing is coming out of Vancouver and may be typical crap on Edmonton BS but it is very coincidental that on the day of the report, the province relaxes its games number demand. Perhaps the province realized they were getting 0 games instead of 5 games.

Can anyone confirm this or have any insights?

I can only confirm there are several influential Soccer Canada officials based in Vancouver.

Here is tweet on it.

I can only confirm there are several influential Soccer Canada officials based in Vancouver.

Here is tweet on it.

Who is that guy, and how does he have that inside scoop?

EDIT: Nevermind, he contributes to Sportsnet. I really hope that these reports turn out to be wrong; it'd tick me off a lot if Vancouver was given games even though it already stepped out of the bid, while Edmonton - which has committed to making the necessary upgrades and shown itself to want this very badly - gets turned over just so FIFA can squeeze the US market for all it's worth.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised though; FIFA is abhorrent enough to tolerate migrants in Qatar working in slavery-like conditions, with over 6,000 of them dying, as the country prepares to host the upcoming tournament. Screwing over Edmonton would be peanuts in comparison.

Last edited:
Funny that this story comes out today as well. This publication has highlighted Edmonton a few times in the past couple of years.

Mayor Sohi's office:

"For clarification:

The City has not received any notification from FIFA on Edmonton’s candidacy as an Official Host City for the FIFA World Cup 2026. We are proud of the bid the Edmonton 2026 Bid team put forward, and are confident in our ability to be a world class host. We continue to be all-in and will await the news on June 16 rather than speculate."

Who is that guy, and how does he have that inside scoop?

EDIT: Nevermind, he contributes to Sportsnet. I really hope that these reports turn out to be wrong; it'd tick me off a lot if Vancouver was given games even though it already stepped out of the bid, while Edmonton - which has committed to making the necessary upgrades and shown itself to want this very badly - gets turned over just so FIFA can squeeze the US market for all it's worth.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised though; FIFA is abhorrent enough to tolerate migrants in Qatar working in slavery-like conditions, with over 6,000 of them dying, as the country prepares to host the upcoming tournament. Screwing over Edmonton would be peanuts in comparison.
“ Reports for Sportsnet” says it all. They’re right up there with the Toronto Star - Edmonton edition and Fox News

maybe this should be in an airport thread?

because i'm pretty sure the lack of flights and good connections more than anything else keeps us off their acceptable destination radar, no pun intended.

furthermore, it's probably a much bigger problem because at least fifa's radar is high profile enough to be on our radar while there are myriad other things we lose that aren't even on our radar. no one goes - or stays - anywhere that's not convenient to get to or from.

i will be pleasantly surprised to be wrong but it would be a surprise.

Back