8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Jarrek

Member Bio
Reaction score
About to reach parity with the US Greenback.

If it does go over, it gives us one more reason to annex that plot of land to the south! ;)

After 9/11, I was terrified of traveling to the United States. I wasn't afraid of terrorism though... I was afraid of an over-zealous border guard stopping me and performing unspeakable torture because my last name, if reversed and with letters re-arranged, has at least one letter in common with that of a known terrorist.

Funny how the prospect of saving $100 on an iPod changes people:p

well, with a last name like rocket191, what do you expect? ;)

I just purchased a new vehicle in the US and saved $15,000. Canadian car dealers need to start lowering their prices to reflect the higher Canadian dollar or they will lose all their business to the US.

I just purchased a new vehicle in the US and saved $15,000. Canadian car dealers need to start lowering their prices to reflect the higher Canadian dollar or they will lose all their business to the US.

I might just do the same, but there are a lot of caveats when buying a car south of the border.

After 9/11, I was terrified of traveling to the United States. I wasn't afraid of terrorism though... I was afraid of an over-zealous border guard stopping me and performing unspeakable torture because my last name, if reversed and with letters re-arranged, has at least one letter in common with that of a known terrorist.

The over-zealous security people are way too busy trying to process people than to hold the lines or create havoc because of name spelling. The airlines want their planes to fly on time!

Besides, there are all those other people to stop, like those who dare to bring containers of fluid of more than three ounces.

Canadian car prices are laughable.

so the US is the new china? ;)

Most Canadian companies aren't passing off the savings of the higher Cdn dollar to the consumers. They're instead keeping it as a nice windfall. Meanwhile, David Dodge still believes that the high Cdn dollar will stem inflation through an across the board drop in retail prices. Fat chance.

It's amazing how quickly things change. It wasn't too long ago when Americans would come up to Canada to buy cars when the dollar was at 62 cents. As for parity, it's only a matter of time. Jim Rogers said two years ago that the Cdn. dollar would be going for $1.06 USD. The truth is, Americans have no choice but devalue their currency to get out of debt. That said, eventually all fiat currencies become worthless. I think a little bit of gold in one's portfolio won't hurt to protect against the inevitable stupidity of international central banks trying do deal with the decline of the American dollar.

I'm partial to a bit of loonie hanky panky...

usdcad5.gif

^ that's got to be a breakout and parity here we come.

CAD isn't getting the same love from the Euro though.

I can remember the dollar below 70 cents....

It was great! That was then, this is now.

Of course it was great because I had taken possession of my condo with a relatively small mortgage ($600 CAD / month).... and 6 days later I started working in the United States. The second and third years I was earning USD, I only had to pay for accomodation -- mortgage in Toronto of around $400 (the first year I had an apartment in Chicago, but 2/3 years I was permanently on the road).

Now it is great to have a not as weak dollar (since I am in Canada; it is not really that the Canadian Dollar has gone up, as the USD and Japanese Yen have gone down) as the United States. I am now ordering my DVDs from Amazon.com (shipping + sale price [for sales] is often drastically less than Amazon.ca or HMV).

It's made my recent trips to the U.S. affordable. I didn't feel like I had to penny-pinch as with a 70 cent dollar.

Selling a car in Canada. We have an extra and will only need one in TO. A Scion XB we are selling, would you recommend we import it and sell it there? They don't sell the Scion there but I understand we would only have to put in the day light running lamps for approval. Here it is worth about $10,000 to $11,000. Would you recommend we try to sell it there, it's a great city car.

Any advice?

Used cars tend to be more expensive up here, and I'd bet that you'd get a premium for a car that isn't otherwise available. Selling it up here is definitely your best choice if you can get it approved.

Back