News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I just saw an ad on the Dutch comedy channel. They are about to start showing the Trailer Park Boys. Sweet. It's funny when the commercials include all of the swearing. The Dutch love the F-Word.

Also, that Little Mosque on the Prairie show is apparently on one of the big Dutch networks that I don't watch.

Wow, that's three Canadian series picked up. I thought the first one was due to the writers strike...but I guess these networks are really looking outside the box.

Hopefully these shows have enough of a budget to do them justice.

The only programs that get dubbed are children's programs. Everything else is subbed. This is great for the foreigners like me except when in an English program there are characters speaking in a third language which is subtitled into English. In those cases, English subtitles are replaced with Dutch subtitles and I miss out on whatever the terra'ists are saying.
I lived in The Netherlands for a year (Rotterdam), back in the early 1990's.
I remember seeing the original Degrassi series from the 1980's on Dutch TV back then.
I believe the program was popular in many countries (along with The Beachcombers).
It's true that most English TV shows were subtitled as opposed to dubbed.
Curiously, however, they subtitled the Flintstones... I mean why wouldn't they have just done a voiceover in Dutch?

Cable shows that came from the UK were of course in English.
Cable shows that came from Germany were dubbed in German - it was strange listening to a high-pitched German J.R. Ewing...

On a general note, it's nice to see Canadian programming getting picked up by the US, so long as the programming remains Canadian.
Also of interest is that CTV is generating some of this so-called "quality Canadian programming" that is good enough to export.

... so whither the CBC?
If CTV continues to produce homespun Canadian content that can sell itself in export markets, then is there a case for continued government funding of a network that produces a lot of mediocrity?

Are they Canadian stories or American stories told in a Canadian setting?

... so whither the CBC?
If CTV continues to produce homespun Canadian content that can sell itself in export markets, then is there a case for continued government funding of a network that produces a lot of mediocrity?
Umm, a couple things...

CBC/Radio-Canada's mandate isn't based on how successful they are at selling shows abroad. In fact, it's not even part of the equation whatsoever. Nonetheless, CBC has been doing fairly well exporting shows as of late anyway, Being Erica and Little Mosque on the Prairie being two examples.

Even if some of these CBC English TV entertainment shows aren't your thing, it's only a small slice of what the network produces and I don't see it as being a case for removing government funding from the 3rd worst funded public broadcaster in the western world.

Are they Canadian stories or American stories told in a Canadian setting?
From what I've seen of Flashpoint it's pretty vague about what the setting is. They don't really mention Toronto or Canada, although they have those great skyline shots and feature landmarks and Toronto streetscapes prominently, so anyone who's even remotely familiar with the city could figure it out...which is to say that most American viewers won't. I've only seen one episode of the Listener but it seems to be similar.

They've never once mentioned that it's set in Toronto, though they do nothing to hide the fact as evidenced by the wonderful aerial scenes of the city shown throughout the episode. Also, the SRU uniforms all have Canadian flags on them.

The show uses real street names and city names (i.e. "The suspect was last seen driving south on Bayview" or "the hospital is located in Rexdale").

They've even gone as far as to ask new members of the unit to "go get the team some Timmies" which I thought was quite Canadian of them.

The stories have been a mix from what I've read. Some are based on actual events in Toronto like the series premier about a hostage situation in T.O.'s business district, while some are stories out of the US while others still are completely fictional.

I enjoy watching the show (evidenced by the above), and not just because it's a Canadian show filmed in Toronto.

I enjoy watching the show (evidenced by the above), and not just because it's a Canadian show filmed in Toronto.

I enjoy it too. We're not used to seeing Toronto so....exuberantly displayed on TV as ITSELF. It's still a novelty for me, and I have to admit to watching this program more to see the city than for the plot. "The Listener", "Being Erica", and Discovery channel's "Cash Cab" are great for "T.O Watching".

Frankly, this city looks SPECTACULAR in HD! With the garbage strike still dragging on, I'm glad we don't have "Smell-o-vision" yet.:)

The Listener is on TV in Japan too. I've never seen an episode but a lot of commercials.

Back