News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

There wouldn't only be a conflict with an earlier regular season, but also two weeks of exhibition games. A World Cup will never happen using seven stadiums where a CFL team is the primary tenant in at least six of them.

Who knows what the situation will be in 2026? We could also have a bigger World Cup by then. I bet they eventually go above 32, probably when some media consortium throws in some extra cash. FIFA rarely says no to that.

Only 10 stadiums are needed to host the WC.

Canada could propose the following:

West
BC PLace - Vancouver
Commonwealth Stadium - Edmonton
Replacement with temporary seating -Calgary
Regina Stadium - Regina (temporary expansion required)
Investors Group Field - Winnipeg (temporary expansion required)

East
Frank Clair Stadium - Ottawa (temporary expansion required)
New Toronto Stadium - Toronto (downsized post games for Argos or kept for an NFL team)
Rogers Centre - Toronto
Olympic Stadium - Montreal

Hamilton's stadium is a hole idk if they would use it. Maybe a final stadium in Quebec/Halifax to get a CFL team

You may think you only need 10....but all applicants for 2018 and 2022 were required to submit 16 - 18 stadiums meeting the minimun standards and that FIFA would select 12 from that list.

So, assuming they do not change their criteria......not only do you need 12...you actually need 16 - 18 even though you will only actually use 12. So, lets say we had 12....we could submit a bid where the other 4 - 6 were all "proposed to be built"....if FIFA liked those proposed stadiums you better be prepared to build them.

Now, as for the 10 you show....which of those meet the 80k minimum for the finals.which meet the 60k minimum for the semi finals? How much money will they all need to get upgraded (keep in mind by 2026 Olympic stadium will have been open for 60 years and Commonwealth for 58) and/or built? Who will pay that money?

I state this every time the subject comes up....the biggest problem isn't even our own stadium shortcomings it is the competition we face. Let's assume FIFA are dead set on the 2026 coming to North America......we will be bidding against USA and Mexico.

While we may be able to patch together a bid that if we twist ourselves into a pretzel or if we try and get FIFA to compromise a bit on their criteria we will be doing that against the backdrop of a bid from America that without any effort whatsover could throw a list of stadiums at FIFA that would be, what, 50 long that all far exceed the minimum criteria.

Think of it this way...while we are trying to figure out where we could get 12 stadiums and how we can get the money to pay for that...and if there are enough hotel rooms in (for example) Regina to meet the FIFA requirement AND how we deal with a league that just lost all its stadiums for a period of time (FIFA basically take over the stadiums from weeks before the event to weeks after it).....the last USA bid when they submitted their list of stadiums left out stadiums/cities like Soldier Field/Chicago....just because they had an embarrassment of riches.

Now...to track back to the rant that got us talking about this (again) this does not make us a bad country or inferior in anyway.....it is just the reality of being in a country that has two few people spread over too many miles and, in addition, has not put stadiums at the top end of our public expenditure priorities.

There are many out there....but this is a good summary piece on FIFA stadiums and prior world cups.

http://www.playthegame.org/fileadmin/documents/World_Stadium_Index_4_FIFA_WC.pdf

Only 10 stadiums are needed to host the WC.

Canada could propose the following:

West
BC PLace - Vancouver
Commonwealth Stadium - Edmonton
Replacement with temporary seating -Calgary
Regina Stadium - Regina (temporary expansion required)
Investors Group Field - Winnipeg (temporary expansion required)

East
Frank Clair Stadium - Ottawa (temporary expansion required)
New Toronto Stadium - Toronto (downsized post games for Argos or kept for an NFL team)
Rogers Centre - Toronto
Olympic Stadium - Montreal

Hamilton's stadium is a hole idk if they would use it. Maybe a final stadium in Quebec/Halifax to get a CFL team

To be honest you don't even need EVERY stadium to be a 50 000 seater, even in Qatar's overbuilt stadium plans most stadiums are in the 40 000 seat range and only 2 are over 50 000 seats. Russia is the same thing, only 2 stadiums over 50 000 seats. You only really need the 50 000+ seat stadiums for the quarters, semis, and finals. The rest of the buildings could conceivably be built to hold 30 000 to 40 000 seats (with ability to downsize post event to 20 000 or so)

I don't know why you are looking at all these big stadiums then:
Toronto has a soccer specific stadium in BMO. It could be expanded/renovated to seat approx 30 000+ from current 20 000 capacity
Montreal has a soccer specific stadium in Saputo. It could be expanded/renovated to seat approx 30 000+ from current 20 000 capacity
The Whitecaps have proposed a new soccer specific stadium in Vancouver. It could be built to accommodate a temporary expansion to 30 000+ seats

That leaves another 9 - 11 locations to be selected for stadiums including 2 new 'marquee' stadiums for the quarters, semis, and finals. I imagine that the preferred locations for the two marquee stadiums would be Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver (this despite their already having the smaller venues noted above), with Toronto and Montreal likely to be the primary locations due to geographic proximity.

The remaining stadiums I imagine would be some combination of temporary, renovated, and/or new structures. Ottawa Fury and FC Edmonton would probably get stadiums that could be stripped down after the WC. Quebec would likely demand a stadium (perhaps combined with a new soccer or CFL franchise). Winnipeg may get a few games at IG field. I could see a stadium built in the Maritimes (again combined with a bid for a CFL franchise). The remaining locations would be some combination of four of Hamilton, Missisauga, Regina, Calgary, Kingston, Windsor, Kitchener, London, Niagara, new Pan am stadium at York U, and Victoria. All of which could be built to allow for ease of tear down to a capacity around 5-10 000 seats and then donated to the municipality and/or local University/College.

In this way you are only ever playing in one active CFL stadium (IG Field) the rest would be built as soccer specific stadiums or if planned to be used by a CFL team would be occupied by said franchise after the WC.

Last edited:
Again...yes, they don't all have to be over 50 but they do all have to meet the minimum of 40k. Of course, the criteria are not just size, there is a certain level of quality that has to be in them....and they have to end up being competitive with whatever other country(ies) are bidding.

It is not that we "can't" do it but all these back of napkin ignore the cost......Assume a stadium construction price tag of around $3B (maybe more)....where/who does that come from?

Why, So 60,000 people who got free tickets because their company bought them can sit on their hands or play with their cell phones at the same place?

Most people in Toronto like yourself know NOTHING about football. They bet on the NFL because the likes of a few teams year after year have good seasons.

I'm a huge football fan of both leagues, and entertainment value wise, NFL will rarely beat the CFL on a game by game basis. But hey, if people like 7-10 minute drives that result in a punt. Go ahead and enjoy.

Toronto NFL team would be a worse failure than Jacksonville, There is no support for minor, or University football and more leagues of all age groups in Ottawa than Toronto. NFL isn't coming to Toronto.
Your probably also a TFC fan, which makes your comment hypocritical, 7th best soccer league vs best Canadian rules football league (or 2nd, if you broaden your definition of Football).

Who do you hang out with John Madden and Bill Belichick? Come here flapping your gums telling me I don't know nothing about football. Its people like you who make this city digress instead of progress. You would rather have that small fries league ( CFL ) over the NFL? And I know nothing about football... sure. I've watched live many NFL games in Detroit, Foxboro, Pittsburgh, Buffalo and New York. I also watched many CFL games in Hamilton, Montreal and Ottawa ( when they had the Riders ) and here in Toronto. It is night and day. I know you love the Canadian game more because it is a pass friendly league and the fact it is Canadian, and that's fine, but i appreciate well coached, defensive schemes, and "Prime Time" way more than little league. You say a Toronto NFL franchise would be a huge failure. Why? Where is you proof of this? That poorly run Rogers Bills crap is not a franchise team for Toronto. It is still the BUFFALO BILLS! That's why no body cares or supports it because it's not Toronto. I am a TFC fan and support them because they represent my city in the BEST league we can play in. I don't care for the Argos as much because it's a BIG FISH IN A SMALL POND. Do you get it now? My mentality with my city is " Only the best ". Maybe it's because of people like you the Leafs, Raptors and Blue Jays are so crap. Because your content with being second place, or just getting in to the playoffs. Enjoy your small town Argos while it lasts because the NFL is coming to Toronto, with or without you. If you don't like it, I know a sales broker who can find you a nice "small" home in London... Ontario. Go Knights Go!

I am really not sure what all this CFL v NFL discussion has to do with the topic of the CSA's reported bid for the 2026 WC.

Who do you hang out with John Madden and Bill Belichick? Come here flapping your gums telling me I don't know nothing about football. Its people like you who make this city digress instead of progress. You would rather have that small fries league ( CFL ) over the NFL? And I know nothing about football... sure. I've watched live many NFL games in Detroit, Foxboro, Pittsburgh, Buffalo and New York. I also watched many CFL games in Hamilton, Montreal and Ottawa ( when they had the Riders ) and here in Toronto. It is night and day. I know you love the Canadian game more because it is a pass friendly league and the fact it is Canadian, and that's fine, but i appreciate well coached, defensive schemes, and "Prime Time" way more than little league. You say a Toronto NFL franchise would be a huge failure. Why? Where is you proof of this? That poorly run Rogers Bills crap is not a franchise team for Toronto. It is still the BUFFALO BILLS! That's why no body cares or supports it because it's not Toronto. I am a TFC fan and support them because they represent my city in the BEST league we can play in. I don't care for the Argos as much because it's a BIG FISH IN A SMALL POND. Do you get it now? My mentality with my city is " Only the best ". Maybe it's because of people like you the Leafs, Raptors and Blue Jays are so crap. Because your content with being second place, or just getting in to the playoffs. Enjoy your small town Argos while it lasts because the NFL is coming to Toronto, with or without you. If you don't like it, I know a sales broker who can find you a nice "small" home in London... Ontario. Go Knights Go!

Was that a professional wrestling promo?

Maybe - Vince hates Toronto as well

To be honest you don't even need EVERY stadium to be a 50 000 seater, even in Qatar's overbuilt stadium plans most stadiums are in the 40 000 seat range and only 2 are over 50 000 seats. Russia is the same thing, only 2 stadiums over 50 000 seats. You only really need the 50 000+ seat stadiums for the quarters, semis, and finals. The rest of the buildings could conceivably be built to hold 30 000 to 40 000 seats (with ability to downsize post event to 20 000 or so)

I don't know why you are looking at all these big stadiums then:
Toronto has a soccer specific stadium in BMO. It could be expanded/renovated to seat approx 30 000+ from current 20 000 capacity
Montreal has a soccer specific stadium in Saputo. It could be expanded/renovated to seat approx 30 000+ from current 20 000 capacity
The Whitecaps have proposed a new soccer specific stadium in Vancouver. It could be built to accommodate a temporary expansion to 30 000+ seats

That leaves another 9 - 11 locations to be selected for stadiums including 2 new 'marquee' stadiums for the quarters, semis, and finals. I imagine that the preferred locations for the two marquee stadiums would be Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver (this despite their already having the smaller venues noted above), with Toronto and Montreal likely to be the primary locations due to geographic proximity.

The remaining stadiums I imagine would be some combination of temporary, renovated, and/or new structures. Ottawa Fury and FC Edmonton would probably get stadiums that could be stripped down after the WC. Quebec would likely demand a stadium (perhaps combined with a new soccer or CFL franchise). Winnipeg may get a few games at IG field. I could see a stadium built in the Maritimes (again combined with a bid for a CFL franchise). The remaining locations would be some combination of four of Hamilton, Missisauga, Regina, Calgary, Kingston, Windsor, Kitchener, London, Niagara, new Pan am stadium at York U, and Victoria. All of which could be built to allow for ease of tear down to a capacity around 5-10 000 seats and then donated to the municipality and/or local University/College.

In this way you are only ever playing in one active CFL stadium (IG Field) the rest would be built as soccer specific stadiums or if planned to be used by a CFL team would be occupied by said franchise after the WC.

I am not. Most of those stadiums where I listed needs expansion is because they are below the minimum of 40,000 seats.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/10/10/race-canada-continues-plan-bid-2026-world-cup

TORONTO — By the time 2026 rolls around, it will have been 32 years since the CONCACAF region hosted the FIFA World Cup, and according to reports published on Wednesday, the president of the Liga MX believes a joint US-Mexico bid might be just the thing to bring the World Cup back to this part of the globe.

But another North American player already has its sights set on 2026: Canada.

“We’re the only G8 country that hasn’t [been selected to host] a [senior men’s] World Cup,” Canadian Soccer Association president Victor Montagliani told MLSsoccer.com this week. “Also, out of all the tournaments FIFA has, this is the only one that we haven’t [been selected to host.]”

While Montagliani (pictured, at left, with Canadian men's head coach Benito Floro) said there are “a lot of internal discussions yet to have” with various stakeholders, he confirmed – as first reported in July 2012 by CBC Sports – that the CSA is indeed planning to bid for the 2026 World Cup

Back