News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The 2024 Olympic bid is dead

Interesting. If Canada hosts both the 2024 Olympics and the 2026 World Cup, I wonder how would Canada pull it off without creating another Brazil-style riots.

We (human beings) always remember the "last time" as if it is the norm. Other places have hosted Olympics and WCs in relatively quick succession without riots so I am not sure the Brazil example is the only one to follow.

USA had the 94 WC followed by the 96 Atlanta Olympics
The Munich Olympics of '72 were followed by the W.Germany WC of '74
The Mexico City Olympics of '68 were followed by the Mexico WC of '70

There may be others, but those 3 come to mind for me.

Besides, I still don't think that we have any chance of hosting the WC so it is (to me) a big leap from the CSA have a strategic objective of preparing and submitting a bid to worrying how we would host the two events ;)

Can we really win this? The last time Concacaf hosted was 1994 USA. Hmmm, if we bid we'll have some serious stiff competition from the USA. I would love to see the World Cup here in Canada.

This would be a great opportunity for Canada to be in the FIFA World Cup, as being the host automatically guarantees being in the main competition.

This would be a great opportunity for Canada to be in the FIFA World Cup, as being the host automatically guarantees being in the main competition.

Yeah but the team needs major improvement so we as host nation don't make a fool of ourselves and get blown out in all the 3 group stage matches.

Interesting. If Canada hosts both the 2024 Olympics and the 2026 World Cup, I wonder how would Canada pull it off without creating another Brazil-style riots.

Well Canada is much richer than Brazil per capita. Four times richer actually. Paying for it would be much easier for us.

How many cricket venues are there in the country that would be suitable for staging a Cricket World Cup?

How many cricket venues are there in the country that would be suitable for staging a Cricket World Cup?

(Temporary) Cricket Stadiums are easy to build - the bigger question is who has enough fans from all the ICC World Cup countries to fill all the matches from the competing countries? Only one - same answer as happens with World Junior Hockey. The ICC knows that Canada is the only country in the world where it doesn't matter who is playing (due to number of resident ex-pats) that they will always get at least 30k people showing up no matter who is playing. The last ICC WC in India they had to truck in school children to get even some souls into the stands. Even if Canada wasn't competing in the final 8 it wouldn't matter - every ticket would be sold.

Back