News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

We're switching to a loyalty card this year. It has been tested in Nova Scotia for the last two years and will be rolling out nationally now. Getting rid of it is impossible, as most customers love the novelty and don't want to see it go. The loyalty card in combination with the Mastercard will offer significantly more CT money than you receive currently.

I shop at CT fairly regularly (including I'm in the CT Express on the Danforth more than I thought I'd be). But I have no room in my wallet for another loyalty card, and have no interest in another credit card. I just want more Canadian Tire money, and it annoys me that I have to use certain cards to get more than 5¢.

Agreed. Screw loyalty cards. They are facing extinction. Want loyalty? Do it through an app.

Speaking of, the fact that you can't use the Air Miles app as your Air Miles card blows my mind (in an exercise of how not to do things).

Most places cant scan smartphones due to the type of scanner in use, which is likely why Air Miles doesn't bother, and why most retailers don't offer this. You can download Keyring though, which I always use. (You can even use your Air Miles card, and it works at the LCBO)

Use it to store all of your loyalty cards. It gives the cashier the opportunity to manually enter the card, so even places that cant scan smartphones can still use your cards. I haven't carried a single loyalty card with me since getting it!

For the record, I went to CT to buy a humidifier 2 weeks ago and it was already sold out, on the first day of the sale, and the store's system showed that they had 2 on hand... so trust me when I say we know about the problem and are trying to fix it!
How long will it take? This is not a new thing with CT, being going on for a good 10 years, as long as I have lived in Toronto. No excuse other than a willingness to ignore it.

How long will it take? This is not a new thing with CT, being going on for a good 10 years, as long as I have lived in Toronto. No excuse other than a willingness to ignore it.

Its not a willingness to ignore it. Each store is independently owned so its hard to change things when corp. doesn't control the stores. A new dealer contract was signed last year, and some changes are coming into effect as a result of that contract. A good chunk of stores are now using the product locator system, including Leslie/Lakeshore. It has already improved things quite a bit, and things will get better as more stores start using it, and existing stores get used to it.

FYI - We just launched a new system for tracking product throughout the country. You can now see where the product is located in store via our website (specific aisle #, and quantity available), and when inventory was last updated. You can also place an order online and pick it up in store now too... Guaranteeing that the product will be available when you arrive.

There is an old thread about Canadian Tire Bay & Dundas (which contained a number of posts pertaining to the company as a whole) which could be renamed into a general CT thread, with more recent stuff moved there.

New concept store opens later this week at Eglinton/Laird (Next to existing Canadian Tire and Petsmart). Can't wait to see how the public responds.

New concept store opens later this week at Eglinton/Laird (Next to existing Canadian Tire and Petsmart). Can't wait to see how the public responds.

Where the future shop was ?

Yes, it's always been that way...too bad "head office" doesn't actually know what their stores stock....or don't stock.

No, but when I come in on a Saturday morning, the day the sale starts, and there is no stock left, it becomes clear what the game is. These sales are just to get people into the store...it's not like you actually have the stock.
That's not how the CT model works. The dealer owns the inventory and the people, while the head office owns the real estate and most fixtures. That's why staffing quality, store appearance and product assortment and availability is so inconsistent. The dealer doesn't have to carry items he doesn't want to, even if it's in the flyer. For example, an urban CT dealer may decide that he's not going to carry the canoe that's in the flyer, and instead focus on decor and paint. It's a national flyer, so they need to cover the entire Canadian demographic.

That's not how the CT model works. The dealer owns the inventory and the people, while the head office owns the real estate and most fixtures. That's why staffing quality, store appearance and product assortment and availability is so inconsistent. The dealer doesn't have to carry items he doesn't want to, even if it's in the flyer. For example, an urban CT dealer may decide that he's not going to carry the canoe that's in the flyer, and instead focus on decor and paint. It's a national flyer, so they need to cover the entire Canadian demographic.

The dealer owns all fixtures too. The only thing corporate owned is the shell of the building. The dealer is required to carry items in the flyer, it is part of their agreement to being a dealer. The flyer is not national, it is regional, and a special flyer is made for urban centres also.

Availability varies from store to store because orders are placed based on historic or forecasted sales. If a store is projected to sell 1 item of xxxx, then that store will only get 1 item of xxxx. No business owner in their right mind would want to order large quantities of something that isn't going to sell. Sometimes demand does exceed the order forecast, but that is unavoidable. Consumers are an evolving group of people and it is impossible to forecast their behavior almost a year before the product hits the shelf (since that is when buying decisions are made)

There are also times when we can only get a limited quantity of items from the manufacturer. We are not going to hold off on a sale just because every Canadian cannot get their own. The sale goes on, and it is noted that stores have a limited quantity of said item on the flyer itself.

Last edited:

What do we know about this new concept store? Will the existing Canadian Tire store remain at the centre?

Back