News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Yeah but the point of reducing congestion is to reduce commute times. People are willing to put up with congested highways because it would take even longer to take transit. This means that the reduction in highway usage that comes with tolls will lead to the poorer people taking an even slower mode of transportation (transit). So tolls only make sense if they fund an increase in the capacity of roadways, or preferably, improvements in suburban transit.

If tolls result in highways being free-flowing, then buses travelling those highways will likely be moving people faster than cars did on the congested highway.

Any solution that is predicated on Tolling the 401 or other Provincial highways won't fly because it would have to be exacted by a government that would have to explain to their non-Toronto constituents why a Pickering resident driving to Waterloo has to pay a toll to Toronto because their Provincial highway happens to pass through Toronto.

I haven't done any research or anything. Maybe someone here knows but I wonder if the provinces agreement with 407ETR when they sold the 407 would let them toll the 401.

The reason I'm asking is because if the 401 is tolled, the 407 might have less volume too and they may lose money.

I may be wrong, but thoughts?

I think there is more than a few people who currently take the 401 because it is not tolled instead of the 407

The Tolls should be cheaper then the 407, yes or no?

Yes! 407 Tolls will be cut in half....so the 905 wins huge in this! If a campaign can get this message across to voters it could maybe be put through!

As for outside GTA drivers, maybe a system can be put where if driver passes over the first toll gantry (say ajax) and exits at the last toll gantry (say mton) without ever leaving the highway....your tolls is free because you are most probably passing through the city...

I haven't done any research or anything. Maybe someone here knows but I wonder if the provinces agreement with 407ETR when they sold the 407 would let them toll the 401.

The reason I'm asking is because if the 401 is tolled, the 407 might have less volume too and they may lose money.

I also meant to add that some people take the 407 because its not as busy even though it might be more out of the way. But if the 401 is tolled and isn't as busy, those people will then take the 401 instead of the 407.

I'm confused by this logic. If the 401 is free, as now, I could see the 407 losing traffic to the 401 because people were avoiding tolls so willing to drive further south or put up with heavier traffic.

Any tolls on 401 traffic reduce that incentive.....no? So (IMO), tolling the 401 would likely increase traffic, and revenue, on the 407.

I'm confused by this logic. If the 401 is free, as now, I could see the 407 losing traffic to the 401 because people were avoiding tolls so willing to drive further south or put up with heavier traffic.

Any tolls on 401 traffic reduce that incentive.....no? So (IMO), tolling the 401 would likely increase traffic, and revenue, on the 407.

I see what you mean. It could go both ways. People will end up just taking whatever highway is most convenient then, since both are toll.

ppl keep making it sound like the 407is so close to the 401 that as a result much of torontos population is using it to avoid the 401. i dont think many torontonians south of the 401 find it very convenient to getup to. as someone who lives south of the 401 i never get on the 407 and its not because its a toll route. its because its dang far out of my way. id like ti see the number of torintonians that are using this versus the number of 905ers. id bet that even if the 401 was tolled the 407 wouldnt see much of a price drop since the users who are using it, are because of convienence rather then because they live so close to the 401 but its to busy to use.

The Provincial government will never impose Tolls on the 401 to raise money for Toronto's congestion problems. It would be political suicide, like it or not non-residents of Toronto who wish to pass through town on their way to somewhere else don't care about our traffic problems nor should they.

The only acceptable plan would be to impose a toll or entry fee to Toronto collected at 401 exits when a vehicle leaves the highway and enters Toronto turf. Can't you just see the sign, "Welcome to Toronto, that will be $2.00 please".

What do we do with Toronto residents who hop onto the 401 westbound at Warden and exit at Victoria Park, a short cut I use often, or similar traffic patterns totally within the borders of Toronto?

Would toll charges vary by how deeply into Toronto a visitor has penetrated the City? Would a visitor who exited the 401 at Meadowvale Road pay the same price as one who left the 401/404/DVP/Gardiner at Yonge Street?

I would go a step further and toll ALL the 400-series highways from end to end. To counter the added cost to commuters, I would also decrease the provincial gas tax, thereby rewarding those that don't use the 400-series highways to commute.

I would go a step further and toll ALL the 400-series highways from end to end. To counter the added cost to commuters, I would also decrease the provincial gas tax, thereby rewarding those that don't use the 400-series highways to commute.

Can I point out that the vast majority of drivers (think trucks, for instance) on the 400 series highways during a 24 hour period are not commuters but you would penalize them for using their highway in order to finance a solution to Toronto's traffic woes?

No wonder Toronto is held in such low esteem.

Can I point out that the vast majority of drivers (think trucks, for instance) on the 400 series highways during a 24 hour period are not commuters but you would penalize them for using their highway in order to finance a solution to Toronto's traffic woes?

Care to back that up with statistics? Besides, the trucks probably depend on the GTA population for some aspect of their raison d'etre.

Like it or not, Toronto's problems are everyone's problems. I know everyone wants to ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist - or that it doesn't send HUGE amounts of money to the provincial and federal government - but here we are.

No wonder Torontonians are starting to finally speak up and demand what is rightfully theirs.

Back