News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Care to back that up with statistics? Besides, the trucks probably depend on the GTA population for some aspect of their raison d'etre.

Like it or not, Toronto's problems are everyone's problems. I know everyone wants to ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist - or that it doesn't send HUGE amounts of money to the provincial and federal government - but here we are.

No wonder Torontonians are starting to finally speak up and demand what is rightfully theirs.

One problem I can see with tolling the 401 is traffic congestion on parallel routes, like York Mills/Wilson/Ellesmere and Sheppard. You would have to toll those as well, otherwise you would end up with congestion like Hwy 7 in York Region. It's probably best to just use GPS-based tolling and toll every road in the GTA, the technology exists now. Hopefully the tolls won't be nearly as high as the 407, at least during off peak times.

On the other hand, making the 401 useable during rush hour and toll revenue would allow for expanded GO bus service similar to the 407 express buses to York University. This would be a huge boon to commuters to North York Centre; commuters from Etobicoke, Mississauga, Brampton, Oakville, Scarborough, Pickering etc. would have much shorter commute times. Currently commuting to North York Centre is a major problem, because housing in good neighbourhoods near there is very expensive, the existing Sheppard subway is useless for most commuters who work there, and the York University express buses are useless because it takes 30 minutes to take the bus from Sheppard/Yonge to York University, so many workers in that area commute long distances in heavy traffic on the 401.

Care to back that up with statistics? Besides, the trucks probably depend on the GTA population for some aspect of their raison d'etre.

Like it or not, Toronto's problems are everyone's problems. I know everyone wants to ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist - or that it doesn't send HUGE amounts of money to the provincial and federal government - but here we are.

No wonder Torontonians are starting to finally speak up and demand what is rightfully theirs.

No wonder Toronto is held in such low esteem.

I suppose this is the wrong thread to debate this since I don't necessarily support a toll, but to suggest that the gta gets back enough to pay for its own basic services is wrong. everyone deserves equal treatment.

What exactly is your argument? Toronto should keep paying for others and get less than it deserves? Nice.

I suppose this is the wrong thread to debate this since I don't necessarily support a toll, but to suggest that the gta gets back enough to pay for its own basic services is wrong. everyone deserves equal treatment.

What exactly is your argument? Toronto should keep paying for others and get less than it deserves? Nice.

No. I agree that Toronto probably is a cash cow for the province but attempts to rectify the inequity by imposing a road toll on a road we don't own is just silly not to mention unworkable.

The only way to fix this thing is to stop voting Liberal. Toronto's voting block of a couple of dozen seats is the route to power at Queen's Park and we are squandering it.

The only way to fix this thing is to stop voting Liberal. Toronto's voting block of a couple of dozen seats is the route to power at Queen's Park and we are squandering it.

You're in favour of NDP or is it the Conservatives that are going to save Toronto?

You're in favour of NDP or is it the Conservatives that are going to save Toronto?

No, spider thinks the Conservatives will fix everything. He has said that people who have been affiliated with NDP should be barred from office.

How 'bout a Toronto Party? A Toronto Party would never become the government but their seats voting as a block would guarantee that Toronto would never be shit on again if in fact it ever was.

Back