News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

15minutes is not fun and often not much different than walking to some locations, but you can plan and time it if need be.

That is the UofA's station and not particularly representative of 'the system'.
I'd argue that it is considering University students and staff make up a sizeable amount of ridership. It's true that University is the busiest station, but I think systems should be evaluated by how well they can handle their main hubs.

Nice to see crowds like this versus the last two years. But sounds like service every 10 minutes is a problem.

Service is every 6 minutes though, not 10, although at the time that post was made the 6 minute frequency northbound might not have trickled through the system yet. That amount of passengers will be swallowed up easily by 1 northbound and 1 southbound Capital Line train though. I'd be a bit more concerned if there were pass ups because there wasn't enough space on the train. While I don't regularly commute through University these days, it seems to me 10 years or so ago when I did, different days of the week would see different surges on the LRT at different times, in the afternoon, depending upon class finish times. Maybe 15-20 minutes long, before and after these surges the platform would be no where near as full as the images shows.
Good to see the LRT seeing this ridership again though.

Reality is that the capital line is at or above capacity during peak times from University to Century Park and has been for a while (excluding covid). It's one of the reasons the city is looking at a secondary "mass transit" corridor southbound (unfortunately currently planned to be BRT rather than another rail line).

Reality is that the capital line is at or above capacity during peak times from University to Century Park and has been for a while (excluding covid). It's one of the reasons the city is looking at a secondary "mass transit" corridor southbound (unfortunately currently planned to be BRT rather than another rail line).
You can thank Tim Cartmell. He's been pushing for BRT, and actively against LRT for years. He doesn't take public transportation either.

BRT makes sense for some routes and can be a very good alternative to key nodes that won't see LRT for decades/if ever.

Yup, I have that one, but there is another (that I thought I had) that shows it going to roughly where Riverbend Sq. now is.

Profile Number (budget item?) 23-21-3002: Train to Wayside Technology
it looks like the city is planning to (finally!) fix connectivity issues between LRVs and LRT Control. this new system would allow for LRT security cameras to be monitored live by central control to better manage security issues, allow for real-time monitoring of diagnostic systems to better catch and diagnose maintenance issues, and BEST OF ALL... allow for real-time tracking of trains across the whole system. This particular item is still waiting for council approval.
It will be absolutely amazing to have live tracking of trains, like what we have for buses. it's so annoying to text 31100 and get some random time off a schedule, race down to the platform, then find out the train is 5 minutes behind on a 6 minute headway. The writeup in the budget also touts that this new system will allow for faster responses to issues, and make playing catch-up after delays faster. the writeup also suggests that passenger counters could be installed on cars to get accurate ridership data for every stop, every run; this system could be a later add-on.
No specific system or technology for this is cited, it looks like the concept has been explored internally but no outside input as of yet.
City Budget, page 120

Profile Number (budget item?) 23-21-3002: Train to Wayside Technology
it looks like the city is planning to (finally!) fix connectivity issues between LRVs and LRT Control. this new system would allow for LRT security cameras to be monitored live by central control to better manage security issues, allow for real-time monitoring of diagnostic systems to better catch and diagnose maintenance issues, and BEST OF ALL... allow for real-time tracking of trains across the whole system. This particular item is still waiting for council approval.
It will be absolutely amazing to have live tracking of trains, like what we have for buses. it's so annoying to text 31100 and get some random time off a schedule, race down to the platform, then find out the train is 5 minutes behind on a 6 minute headway. The writeup in the budget also touts that this new system will allow for faster responses to issues, and make playing catch-up after delays faster. the writeup also suggests that passenger counters could be installed on cars to get accurate ridership data for every stop, every run; this system could be a later add-on.
No specific system or technology for this is cited, it looks like the concept has been explored internally but no outside input as of yet.
City Budget, page 120
Wait, they don't have live monitoring of the security cameras now?? That explains a lot.

Good news anyways!

Back